Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing up problems

• Please log in to reply

urban_rose

urban_rose

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I was told to post a thread in this section by andyf in malware and Hijackthis forum. This is the thread he has been helping in
http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=143746

he said that it more suited for the tech guys.

Edited by urban_rose, 16 February 2007 - 01:52 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, urban_rose!

Could you please list the issues you're stilling having?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try these, then post back your status.

1. run SFC (System File Checker)
It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

2. Run ChkDsk again. Open My Computer, right click over Local Disk C:\, Properties, Tools, Error Checking/Check Now. Check both option boxes, then press Start. You'll be prompted to run it at the next restart. This will run a 30-40 minutes.

3. After these two, run your computer for several hours, then check the Event Viewer for warnings or errors regarding "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block".
To get to the Event Viewer, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Services, Event Viewer. On the left side of the screen are three categories: Application, Security, and System. Check under Application and System for any events that are listed as Warnings or Errors, that also have a date and time since you performed the above maintenance items. Once you have an event open, you can click the "copy to clipboard" icon (just below the down arrow) to copy the error text, then you can paste it in a reply to this thread.

urban_rose

urban_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Hi, urban_rose!

Could you please list the issues you're stilling having?

The computer will suddenly freeze up at times, the mouse wont move at all then it will restart itself. It happens when i go on various websites, i still havent figured out what they all have in common. There is one website though, which displays 'loading Java inlet' or something like that, then it will feeze up, that always happens at the same time.

erm, about the XP cd, i dont know where it is exactly, isnt XP already installed on the laptop when you get it?

Edited by urban_rose, 17 February 2007 - 07:30 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, Windows XP is installed on the laptop. However, depending on the brand of computer, you will get a System Restore CD or Windows Reinstallation CD. Sometimes the Windows installation files are placed on a hidden partition of the hard drive and the restore CD (like with old Compaqs) contains no OS files, but rather simply directs the install process to that hidden partition.

With some types of OS maintenance, it is vital to have the disk in the drive.

With that said, what brand of laptop do you have?

To obtain replacement disks, see Microsoft article 326246 for contact information and options. You can also contact your laptop manufacturer for replacement disks. There is a nominal fee.

Regarding System File Checker, you should try to run it and see if it prompts you for the disk.

Regarding Java, you can download the most current version here.

Here are some other things you can do that do not require the Windows CD.
1. Clear all temporary internet files. Open Internet Explorer, Tools menu, Internet Options. Click Delete Cookie, then Delete Files (be sure to check Offline Files). Also Clear History.

2. Clear other temporary files. Open My Computer, right click over Local Disk C:, Properties, Disk Cleanup (on the General tab). You can also download a freeware program called CCleaner here. I've been using it for several weeks based on recommendations at G2G, and I have had very good results with it. It clears unnecessary files as well as registry entries (it prompts you to backup the entries it removes - so no worries).

3. Defrag C:\. Open My Computer, right click on Local Disk C:, Properties, Tools, Defragment Now.

4. Run Chkdsk. Open My Computer, right click on Local Disk C:, Properties, Tools, Error Checking/Check Now. Be sure to tick both option boxes. You'll be notified that it will run on the next reboot. It should take between 20-40 minutes to run.

5. Check Microsoft Update site for updates for your system.

urban_rose

urban_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've tried looking for the CD you talked about but i cant find it at all. I have a Toshiba laptop, it has a CD with it called Product Recovery DVD ROM,its still sealed, do you thin that might be it?

I tried running SFC without the CD, but it keeps prompting me for the CD. I've done everything else you mentioned in the last post :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, I believe that is the OS recovery disk. So pop that in the drive and run SFC.

urban_rose

urban_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Nah, i tried the CD, it wasnt the one.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Toshiba has the OS files on a hidden partition, I believe, and the Recovery disk allows you to reinstall the OS, but not much else.

Have done all those steps from Post#5? Did any of it help at all? Especially reinstalling Java?

Is your laptop still under warranty?

Have you made a backup of all your data, in the event you want to try restore the computer to factory specs?

urban_rose

urban_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey, Linda.
Just thought id let you know that since i updated the Java i havent had any problems with the computer. Thanks for all your help :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Beautiful! Thanks for letting us know :whistling: