Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen after getting "VIA - Software - Primary IDE Channel&q

• Please log in to reply

spinsah

spinsah

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there, bit of a problem here,

on the Microsoft Update website I downloaded and installed 2 optional updates - one was called "VIA - software - primary IDE channel" and the other was called "VIA - software - secondary IDE channel". The descrption for each said they were software updates for both IDE channels.

It then asked for a reboot - and right after the computer's title screen, just as the "Windows XP" screen starts to fade in, I get a blue screen crash. I know it's due to these updates I installed cause I haven't made any other changes.

Upon starting the computer up again, I got the messages saying Windows didn't start up correctly, asking me for the "Safe Mode / Normal / Last Known Good Configuration" choice. I tried doing the Normal and again I got the blue screen - then when I restarted again I did the "Last Known Good Configuration", and it started fine.

Now what i'm trying to do is UNINSTALL these deadly updates I downloaded, but I can't seem to find them in the "Add / Remove Programs" area (even after clicking "Show Updates"). My computer starts fine now as if nothing had ever happened, but i'm just wanting to make sure that these bad updates are GONE from my system.

Would they maybe have been automatically removed when I chose the "Last Known Good Configuration" option at the choice screen? Is there somewhere else I maybe have to go to remove these updates? What about Device Manager and "Roll Back Driver" for the IDE Channels? (I wanted to get advice before I attempted this).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Would they maybe have been automatically removed when I chose the "Last Known Good Configuration" option at the choice screen?

this is pretty much what happened....LKGC removes whatever was changed before the issue occured (usually)...so you're probably fine

in device manager you can compare the driver version to the version listed on the MS site if you just want to be sure

spinsah

spinsah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know!

another quick question - is System Restore independant from this "last known good config" module? How so?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sortofkindofyesandno? if that makes sense...every time you shutdown your computer...it takes a snapshot of your system...system restore let's you select from all the snapshots it has...LKG kind of just uses that last snapshot

spinsah

spinsah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
k thanks, cause the weird thing is i had System Restore turned off when it happened, yet everything was still alright.

I've turned it back on now for the system drive - I had it off cause i use my computer for professional audio work and recording so I need to have as absolute little system resources hogged as possible. I'll compare performance.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....system restore doesn't hog resources...as it's not ALWAYS running...like i said...it just makes a restore point either when you tell it to manually...or when you shutdown the computer..

and the reason LKG worked without system restore on...is because for LKG to work it has to make a snapshot...so it does when you shutdown the computer...but unlike system restore which saves new snapshots (up to a certain size limit that you can set) in different files so that you can keep multiple sets....LKG overwrites the last snapshot the next time you shutdown.....so LKG keeps one snapshot and overwrites it...system restore makes multiple snapshots and stores them based on it's settings

spinsah

spinsah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks, you've been awesome!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP