Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR is missing help cant start pc!

• Please log in to reply

spookey

spookey

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I,m a total newb at computers soplease bear with me! Last night being fed up with being kicked off aol every night at midnight I was advised to install Broadband assistant. While installing a black box with white writing came up and then broadband assistant said errors had occured and my pc shutdown. When I restarted it the screen is black with NTLDR is missing press alt,ctrl,del to restart....which does nothing. So what do do???? Phoned aol and after 35 mins told not their problem but my bios system????

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Look at these prior G2G threads on the same error. Hopefully something in there will help you. Please post back if you have specific questions about the information.

http://www.geekstogo...l=NTLDR MIssing

http://www.geekstogo...l=NTLDR MIssing

spookey

spookey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thnx for the quickreply! Tried the site you suggested but have limited resources in making a new cd etc. Have contacted microsoft but noreply yet.
Do not have any c.ds for my systemas the last person I had mend my pc (proper person!) lost all my disks so I only have my pc with xp preinstalled.
People mention bios, dont understand?
When I press f8 or f10 it goes into pheonixbios setup utility and idont know what to do there?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You need to look at Microsoft article 326246. It explains how to get replacement media for licensed products. It is in your best interest to get a replacement Windows CD. I'm sure there's a nominal fee.

In the meantime, look at Microsoft article 310994 for instructions on downloading and creating a boot disk.

Once you have the boot disk ready, do this (substitute Boot Disk [that you made] for Windows XP CD)
Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

As to your question on BIOS [Basic Input/Output System], it's the "brains" of the comuter that tells all the other components and stuff how to communicate with each other. Some of the instructions talked about going into BIOS and changing the Boot Sequence. Since you don't have the Windows CD, it doesn't apply to your situation.

spookey

spookey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thnx again foryour quick response! am sure your advice is right, will have to get another copy of windows cd etc. My problemnow is i cannot do floopy on the pc here i,m getting help from! Its a newer one, my friends, has no floppy disk!
Cant use my pc so am using this one to get helpto mend mine....can i mend it without floppy disk?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You have to have a boot disk, either USB, floppy, or CD.

spookey

spookey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
how do i get a boot disk on cd?
sorry sound thickbut I have nothing to repair my pc with as last person lost everyone of my disks and c.ds.
Looked atthe site you said and it says I need to make 6 floppy disks to reinstall programme but this pc has no floppy disk so i cant make them!
So can I download new boot onto a cd?
Can i correct pc in the pheonix bios system?
Sorry but I dont know very much as you can tell! :-(

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Go here and d/l the one you need

http://www.bootdisk.com/

spookey

spookey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
sorry but i,m back! Downloaded and got xp cd. Cd wont load on broken pc. it runs etc but screen stays the same!

Forgot to say thnx! x

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Check if your BIOS' boot priority is set to CD before HDD. To enter the BIOS press f1, f2, esc or del. It may be anyone of them (or another im not sure) look for a section called BOOT (or something similar) the BIOS is not very complex so you should be able to find it pretty easily. Use the arrow keys and enter to change the boot priority so it reads : CD>FLOPPY>HDD>NETWORK (if available). Please post back.

-OCM770-

spookey

spookey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi have got boot set as cdrom, removeable, hard dtrive and network.
C.d rund but wont load still and screen remains the same!
Guess its got to be another pc mender to sort it!

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
are you sure you installed the file to the CD correctly, i mean 100% SURE?

-OCM770-

spookey

spookey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
not 100 percent sure. it says file downloaded and burned to cd. this pc says cd has it on!

spookey

spookey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
checked cd on this pc and it has got all the stuff on it!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What exactly did you download from that link? I want to check it out and be sure there's nothing special you have to do to burn the CD to be bootable.