Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dual Channel 2GB vs Single Channel 2.5GB ?

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I've got an Intel D875PBZ motherboard. I use my machine a lot for gaming. The motherboard has got 4 memory slots and I'm currently using three. All three have 512mb sticks. Two are a dual channel paired version from OCZ. The other is from Samsung, its' pair got faulty and doesn't work anymore. Now I was thinking of purchasing more RAM for my computer, just wanted to know would I be better off buying a 1GB Kit so my entire machine would run in dual channel and have 2GB, and could sell the Samsung module, or would I be better off buying an additional 1GB stick so I have a total of 2.5GB but running in single channel mode? Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Its better to have 2 sticks as it decreases bottlenecks when you use dual channel mode. there wouldnt be much difference between 2GB and 2.5GB on toms hardware it showed that having 2GB of RAM gives you 2 more FPS on games lol.