Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Inspiron Video RAM

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I just had my Winbook Series M work notebook replaced with a Dell Inspiron 1100 (NOT my choice!). It has an Intel 82845 video controller with 64mb of RAM. On my Winbook I could get in the system bios and set 32mb of system RAM aside to be used as video RAM. I am wondering if there is a way to do that with the Dell, i.e., set 64mb of system RAM aside to use as video RAM to simulate a total of 128mb.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Probably the best way to find that out is to simply go into the bios & have a look.

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Actualy I have looked in the bios and didn't see anything about video RAM, but I was kinda hoping I missed something. Is there any kind of setting in Windows that can do this?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

I've had a quick look through the users manual for he inspiron 1100. According to that, the amount of shared video memory is automatically assigned - 32MB if you have 128MB of system ram or 64MB if you have 256MB of system ram.
This would suggest that it cannot be altered manually. Theres no way of changing it in windows either I'm afraid.