Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't use copycommand in DOS

• Please log in to reply

jdb264c

jdb264c

• Pip
  • 5 posts
To make a long story short; bought an iRiver H10, installed the transfer program iriver Plus which didn't work. It complained about the file "user32.dll", and it turns out that the program couldn't work properly since I'm using GANT-icons.
Anyway, I restored the icons with GUI-replacer and everything works perfectly fine on the laptop, but on the stationary, the restore-process by some reason erased the winsrv.dll from /system32-directory. I don't have the Win XP cd here so I can't do a regular fix, but I made a boot cd in Nero and copied the winsrv.dll from the laptop to the cd.

So, here's the question. When I boot the stationary to the cd, I can't copy any file from the cd to c:\, dos says "Invalid directory specified". Can't figure what's wrong, can I have a faulty dos-version? I got the bootfiles from bootdisk.com, the prompt says "[DR-DOS] C:\", should I get files from somewhere else?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
try running some other dos commands, such as dir just to make sure dos is ok, which I suspect it is. More likely there is a problem with your path statment in trying to execute the copy command. Try running at c: the dos command dir /w or dir/ p and check to see if you can find the directory that dos said does not exist. If you don't find it, dos was right and you will have to create it.

jdb264c

jdb264c

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Turns out, which I didn't know, that DOS can't handle the NTFS format. Right now trying to get around this via NTFSpro.exe and readntfs.exe but can't get things to work...

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
that is interesting, just for s&g I went to the command prompt via the start menu, programs and ran some dos commands (just dir /w) and it acts just like dos. So I selected a file and executed a copy command, and copied a file to a floppy in drive a. Looks like dos emmulator in XP works just like dos.

jdb264c

jdb264c

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
What is "s&g"?
Maybe there's a difference between the dosprompt from XP and the dos version that I got on the bootdisk. Hadn't heard about this before eather but I got that answer on the Neowin forum.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
s&g = sh*ts and grins