Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up phpMyAdmin

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everybody,

I just downloaded phpMyAdmin and ran into an odd problem when I started to set it up. I can't find the config.inc.php file or anything that even remotely looks like it anywhere in the phpMyAdmin folder.

Can anyone tell me where that file might be hiding?

Thanks for any ideas,

Wendy

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Any chance it's under config.default.php? Maybe you can rename this file to config.inc.php and see if it works. Gotta start learning more about this stuff. :whistling:

Might find this interesting although you'll need some aspirin:

1) What is the config.inc.php file?

2) Configuring PHPMyAdmin

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 16 February 2007 - 11:04 PM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
It should be in the main directory and it is called config.sample.inc.php

If it isn't there you have either a corrupt archive and need to download it again or you didn't extract it.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Major Payne,

Thanks for the hint but this is the first line of the config.default file
--> /* !!! DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, EDIT config.inc.php INSTEAD !!! */ <--

I had already checked this one out but that line told me that I had the wrong file so I scampered away from it real quick. Thanks for those two links too I'll be checking them out too.

Hi thenotch,

Thanks for the reply OK I found that one, so what do I have to do with it? Just rename it or copy it first then rename it?

Thanks,

Wendy

[Edited] Hey in that config.sample file it says --> For easier setup you can use scripts/setup.php <-- can either one of you guys tell me how to get that to work? Or how to use it?

Thanks again,
Wendy

Edited by wendy k. walker, 17 February 2007 - 01:16 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Thanks for the hint but this is the first line of the config.default file
--> /* !!! DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, EDIT config.inc.php INSTEAD !!! */ <--

Hi Wendy:

I wasn't expecting you to edit the file. Just rename it to config.inc.php and see if it will work for you that way. Let me know if it does. Would save config.default file with another name while you do this so you'll still have the original copy.

Ron

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
You will have to edit it, but very little.

You have to enter your mySQL database information so it can connect properly (unless they have changed this, I haven't used phpMyAdmin in about 6 months).

And yes, edit the file name to config.inc.php

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Major Payne and thenotch,

Thanks for the replies guys. Now just to make sure that all three of us are talking about the same config file because so far I've found two of those little buggers.

The first one that I found is called config.sample.inc.php. It's located in the main phpMyAdmin folder and looks like it's really just a basic file just to get you going.

The second one I found is called config.default.php. That bugger is hiding in phpMyAdmin\ libraries and that sucker is like way long and scary looking. It's also the one that says --> DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, EDIT config.inc.php INSTEAD <-- at the top of the file.

Question: So is the config.default.php file the one that I need to copy and rename to config.inc.php?
Question: If it is do I leave it in the 'libraries' folder or do I need to move it to the main phpMyAdmin folder?

Thanks for all of your help,

Wendy

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
There is one file you need to edit to make phpMyAdmin work, and that is the config.sample.inc.php file which is in the root directory of phpMyADmin once you extract it.

If it isn't there you have either did not extract the files properly or you have a corrupted archive.

Within that root directory there is a very easy to read Documentation file (double click the Documentation.htm file to open it in your browser for easy reading) that explains quite clearly how to proceed with installation.

Again, if that file isnt there either, you've either done something wrong or you have a jacked up phpMyAdmin archive and should download it again (current STABLE version is 2.9.2)

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi thenotch,

OK I got phpMyAdmin 2.9.2 from --> http://www.phpmyadmi...e/downloads.php <-- and downloaded the 'english.zip' file.

I've downloaded that same file and deleted it several times thinking that I might have gotten a bad download because every where that I read it tells me that the config.inc.php file is supposed to be generated during installation.

As for as the documentation goes, I've been reading mine so much that it doesn't hardly have any words left on the page!

I'm looking at #1 in the quick start section where it says;

--> Untar or unzip the distribution (be sure to unzip the subdirectories): tar -xzvf phpMyAdmin_x.x.x.tar.gz in your webserver's document root. <--

That is confusing me somewhat as I'm not sure what they mean by 'webserver's document root'.

So far I have downloaded and installed the following programs in the following order;
Apache HTTP server 2.0.59 to --> C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2
PHP 5.2.1 to --> C:\PHP
MySQL 5.0 to --> C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0
phpMyAdmin 2.9.2 to --> C:\SERVER\HTTP\Restricted\phpMyAdmin-2.9.2-english

Does that look like I put those suckers in the right place or do I need to move something? Right now everything is working except for phpMyAdmin and that's not working yet because I haven't gotten that concig file where it's supposed to go.

Then I get to step #3 where it says --> Traditionally, users have hand-edited a copy of config.inc.php, but now a wizard-style setup script is provided for those who prefer a graphical installation. [then farther down] Instead of manually editing config.inc.php, you can use the Setup Script. [then farther down] Next, open scripts/setup.php in your browser. <-- When I clicked on that link it opened that file in word pad.

Question: How the heck do I get the file 'scripts/setup.php' to open in my browser? I tried right clicking and open with IE but that didn't work. Is there another way to make that setup thing work for me?

Thanks for your time and help here.

Wendy

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Again, you are setting up a program that is initially designed for Linux servers, not Windows.

The phpMyAdmin files need to be located somewhere that the webserver has access to. Again, in Linux this is a breeze. Not so breezy under Windows.

First off I would NOT have installed anything under Program Files. THere are permission issues and the simple fact that spaces are used in the naming convention.

I would have installed as such:

Apache - C:\Apache
PHP - C:\php
mySQL - C:\mysql
phpMyAdmin - C:\Apache\http\phpmyadmin

You should also install Perl as well (ActiveState Perl is free and easy to install under Windows, and again install into C:\perl).

Your document root is your http directory under apache. Again, in Linux this is WAY easier and most documentation is written for Linux and explains it rather clearly.

In your case to get phpMyAdmin working you won't be running any script. You will extract it to the appropriate directory that the webserver has access to, edit the config.sample.inc.php accordingly, then save it as config.inc.php in the root of phpmyadmin.

As I have already stated, you are learning the hard way and the least documented way of running a webserver. The programs you are running are inherently designed for Linux and have been ported to Windows, albeit not without some pains, which you are experiencing.

I will say it again, you are better off using Linux if you are going to use these particular programs. If you want a seamless Windows environment you would be better off using IIS.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi thenotch,

:whistling: Yep I have to agree with you on the learning the hard and painful way but I guess I'm just way too hard headed to just give up.

Can I have Linux and Windows XP on the same machine? I doubt it but thought I'd ask anyway.

Now to get Apache out of Program Files do I just use the 'move this folder' feature to get it to C:\ or should I uninstall it and re install it there?

Then on this --> phpMyAdmin - C:\Apache\http\phpmyadmin <-- my Apache installation doesn't have an http folder in it. Is it supposed to or do I just have to make one myself?

As for the config.sample.php files goes I did as you said copied it and renamed it config.inc.php so I guess I'm good to go there.

I must admit I didn't know anything about IIS until a couple of days ago.

Thanks for all of your help Boo.

Wendy

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Hi thenotch,

:whistling: Yep I have to agree with you on the learning the hard and painful way but I guess I'm just way too hard headed to just give up.

It's not hard headed, you are just going about it the wrong way. Everyone assumes that since they know Windows doing all this other stuff is easier since they don't know Linux at all. Not true.

Can I have Linux and Windows XP on the same machine? I doubt it but thought I'd ask anyway.

You can... sort of... multiple options here... you could do a dual boot system which means you can either boot into Linux or boot into Windows OR you can install Microsoft Virtual PC and run a Linux environment "virtually" in Windows. The only caveat here is that you need to have a significant amount of memory to do this effectively (at least 1GB... 2GB you would be set).

Now to get Apache out of Program Files do I just use the 'move this folder' feature to get it to C:\ or should I uninstall it and re install it there?

NO! That will render the application useless and will most likely cause some weird space-time continuum error in Redmond!! Seriously, no, you can't just do that. You would need to do some editing or reinstall Apache.

Then on this --> phpMyAdmin - C:\Apache\http\phpmyadmin <-- my Apache installation doesn't have an http folder in it. Is it supposed to or do I just have to make one myself?

Again, i'm quoting some things from Linux because it is standard. The Windows version probably has a www directory instead of a http directory.

As for the config.sample.php files goes I did as you said copied it and renamed it config.inc.php so I guess I'm good to go there.

I must admit I didn't know anything about IIS until a couple of days ago.

Thanks for all of your help Boo.

Wendy

Starting over is NOT a bad thing. The main issue you will have with IIS is the amount of connections XP will allow. If you had 2003 Server this would not be a problem. Again, XP is NOT designed for public webserver production. To do it right you should use Linux or at worse case Server 2003.

Your best bet really is to get Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 (it's free... you can get it HERE) and then download a Linux distro (that's a WHOLE other can of worms... plenty out there, I use Debian but Ubuntu or CentOS are not bad either) and then read some HOW-TO's online on how to set-up Linux and then you can use that guide I posted earlier to set up your server virtually on your Windows PC in a Linux environment without having to buy another PC.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi thenotch,

Well seeing as how I don't know windows that well I guess I've just got to say that I'm hard headed. How involved is it to get Linux on the same hard drive as windows and do the duel boot thing? I'm afraid that I don't have near enough extra memory laying around to go the virtual route though.

Well as I wouldn't want to be upsetting the space-time continuum any more than is absolutely necessary I guess I should install and reinstall Apache in stead of just moving it to a new location.

Second thoughts here --> If I did just move the file all I'd have to do would be to edit its httpd.config file to match its new location right? That along with editing the PHP, MySQL and MyAdmin.php config files to tell them where to find Apache right?

Now as for that HTTP folder goes the Apache installation didn't have one nor does it have a www folder either. I just searched through the whole dang thing and couldn't find either one of those two folders. The only reason that I have a HTTP file where I have it now is because I was trying to follow some instructions that said something about putting an index.html file into the HTTP folder where the server could find it. I didn't have one so I made one.

It worked so I was happy with it. By the way what all is actually supposed to go into that HTTP folder anyway? Isn't that where I'm supposed to stick html documents that are supposed to be served up to the client by the server? Or something like that?

As for the Apache application that I'm trying to set up I'm not trying to get it set up for public webserver production. Did you have time to visit that link that I PM'd to you? That site tells what I'm trying to get done.

I want to get Apache locked down as tight as I can and bind it to localhost only so that everybody and their dog can't get to it yet at the same time I need for it to be accessible ONLY to people that I give the address to.

I'm thinking that MySQL and phpMyAdmin offer me some security features above and beyond what comes with Apache. That's why I'm trying to get all of those things to work too.

Anyway I want to thank you for all of the help that you've given me here.

Wendy