Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unformatting a MiniSD

• Please log in to reply

Curious D

Curious D

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi. I recently formatted a MiniSD to a FAT (FAT16?) format using my computer and the MiniSD adapter. While the card works in my laptop, my phone doesn't recognize the card. I know the card is compatible with the phone because I have one that works, but it was formatted by the phone itself. I would like to unformat this card to its original state when I opened the box it came in. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

Advertisements

Curious D

Curious D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Anyone with any thoughts? Thanks.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Once you've formatted it, you can't "unformat" it. The only thing to try is formatting it with a different setting. See if you can determine exactly how the other working card is formatted, then format the other the same way.

Good luck.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
if you have ubuntu or a live ubuntu cd you can use the partitioning program to delete the partition and reformat into and format you want. my psp runs on fat32 and fat16, i bought a 4gig card for it and it was fat32 data kept corrupting so i finally deleted the partition and made it a fat16. havent had a problem since

Curious D

Curious D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
The phone doesn't seem to format the card. With the first card, I just stuck the card in and it started working without any format prompt. In fact, when I stick the card that works on the phone into the laptop, the laptop asks to format the card. This suggests that the card is used in its native "raw" format. Once fomatted, I can't seem to get the phone to recognize the card.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i doubt it was used as raw, but if it was. right-click on "my computer" hit "manage" then "disk management" find your disk and delete the partition

Curious D

Curious D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

i doubt it was used as raw, but if it was. right-click on "my computer" hit "manage" then "disk management" find your disk and delete the partition

That did it. Thanks. The card now works. Of course, the laptop can't read it, but then again, I'm not using it in the laptop most of the time. Thanks to all who responded.

Edited by Curious D, 20 February 2007 - 02:39 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad you got it worked out! Thanks for letting us know the solution :whistling: