Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Problem

• Please log in to reply

supraman383

supraman383

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just bought a Lexmark x8350 All-In-One. I've tried installing the software and driver several times. I know my computer sees the printer because everytime I try to re-install it, I plug in the USB cable and the "found new hardware" bubble pops up. When I try to print a test page, I get a communication error. It says "printer cannot communicate with the computer". Any ideas?

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-supraman383[Lexmark X8350 All-in-One Printer Issue]17th FEB-2007

supraman383 –

Welcome to – Geeks to Go -

Lets start with – Printers Folder – You may have already did theses steps – Lets do it again

(1) Click on Start Button
(2) Move Cursor up to – Settings – Open – Printers Folder –
(3) Is the – Lexmark X8350 – Listed in Folder
(4) Right Click your Printer if Listed – Is it set for Default Printer and On Line – Correct as required -
(5) Move Cursor down to – System Information – and Open – Click on – Printer Tab – Is your information about your printer listed correctly –
(6) Close Folder – Right Click Lexmark Printer again – Open Properties Folder – Click on General Tab – Can you print a Test page now –
(7) Close Folders & we will look in Device Manager Folder for Printer Details –

Open Device Manager

(1) Click on – Start Button – Move Cursor up to – Settings – Open – Control Panel
(2) Open – System Folder – Click on – Hardware Tab – Top of Page
(3) Click on – Device Manager Tab – Center of Page – Set – View – Devices by Type –
(4) Expand all USB Devices at bottom of folder –
(5) Do you see – [Printing Support] – If you do Open Folder by Double clicking – Click Driver & Details Tell me what Driver is Listed or do you have a Yellow Warning Sign –
(6) Click on USB Root Hub – Under Power Tab – you should find your Printer Connection – Check Driver details –
(7) Tell me what you see – Can you Update Drivers or Install if indication of error here?

Your USB Printer drivers are native to your Service Pack installed with OS –

Report what we have so far – Post back questions/comments on the 2 Procedures

Jack123 -

Edited to Add Procedures for using Device Manager –

01-Device Manager Prep for Non Present Devices

Preparation Process for [DEVICE MANAGER] to View [Non Present Devices] – [1 time process]

(1) – Right Click MY COMPUTER > Click PROPERTIES on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click ADVANCED Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES Tab -
(4) – Under SYSTEM VARIABLES Section – Click NEW Tab –
(5) – In NAME Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In VALUE Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking OK Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on START Button > Then click on RUN –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click OK – This will open DEVICE MANAGER
(10)– Click VIEW on Menu > Click Show Hidden Devices on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click MY COMPUTER
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to Properties > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on HARDWARE Tab
(4) – Click on Device Manager Tab
(5) – Click on View on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as required
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded grayish print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Procedure (2) – Placing Device Manager on Desktop –

This will be accomplished by writing a – DOS Batch File – using Notepad –

Lets Open Notepad & place it on the Desktop for future quick use

(1) Click on START BUTTON
(2) Move Cursor to PROGRAMS
(3) Move Cursor up to ACCESSORIES FOLDER Then down to NOTEPAD
(4) Right Click NOTEPAD
(5) Move Cursor down the Menu to Send to – Then Click on DESKTOP (Create Shortcut)
(6) This will place a NOTEPAD Shortcut Icon – on your Desktop –

Find the Desktop Notepad Shortcut & Open Notepad – We will write a short Batch File & save it as .cmd extension & place this Batch File on the Desktop – Note – This is a Command File

(1) Open Notepad – Word will not work – Must use Notepad for Command Files -
(2) Type the following exactly as shown below -

DeviceManager@echo off
rem open Device Manager
cls
devmgmt.msc
:end

Now save as – DevMan.cmd – in a Folder that you can locate with – Windows Explorer –
Note that the extension is a Command File – with a .cmd extension -

Now exit Notepad after saving the cmd file – Open Windows Explorer – And locate Command File – DevMan.cmd – File that you just wrote & Send to the Desktop as a Shortcut

(1) Open Windows Explorer
(2) Locate DevMan.cmd File
(3) Right Click DevMan.cmd File & Move Cursor down to – Send to (Create Shortcut)
(4) This will place your DOS Batch File on the Desktop –
(5) Close Windows Explorer –

Now go to Desktop - & Open The New – DevMan – Batch File – Device Manager will appear after a second or two –

Now when you Open Device Manager – Click on View Tab & Click on – Show Hidden Devices – You must show Hidden Devices – each time that you want to view – The Non-Existent Devices – It will not remember/save this setting –

The Non Existent Devices – are good & bad – We will only be interested in Printer – Scanning – Devices for now – You are looking for Devices that have Yellow Warning or Exclamation signs – which indicates faulty installed items – We should be able to clean up your USB problems –

Edited by Jack123, 17 February 2007 - 11:01 AM.

supraman383

supraman383

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The Driver installed is "usbprint.sys". On the details tab, it says "Device Instance ID" USB\VID_043D&PID_00B9&MI_01\6&EF9E3D8&2&0001

I have 2 USB Root Hub tabs. On the Power tabs, 1 says 3 ports available. The other says "USB Composite Device 10mA", HID-compliant mouse 100mA", and 1 port available. I don't see my printer. I cannot update the driver for the USB Root Hub.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-supraman383[Lexmark X8350 All-in-One Printer Issue]17th FEB-2007

1st – Statement -

The Driver installed is "usbprint.sys". On the details tab, it says "Device Instance ID" USB\VID_043D&PID_00B9&MI_01\6&EF9E3D8&2&0001

Ok – My intrepertation/understanding of this data -

(1) where was the – usbprint.sys – driver located – You did not indicate/specify location -
(2) That is the correct USB Printer Driver – but where is it
(3) That should have been located in – USB Printing Support Folder- under the – Driver Details Tab – Where was it found & did you locate this folder
(4) Device Instance ID" USB\VID_043D&PID_00B9&MI_01\6&EF9E3D8&2&0001 – This is Vendor ID & Product ID of some Driver – I should be able to search that out – Where exactly was this information- Again you did not specify

2nd - Statement

I have 2 USB Root Hub tabs. On the Power tabs, 1 says 3 ports available. The other says "USB Composite Device 10mA", HID-compliant mouse 100mA", and 1 port available. I don't see my printer. I cannot update the driver for the USB Root Hub.

Ok – This is my interpretation/understanding of this data -
#1 USB Root Hub

(1) Power Tab – is showing that it controls – 3 USB Ports – and they are empty
(2) Driver Tab – Details should have – usbhub,sys – What was there -

#2 USB Root Hub

(1) Power Tab – is showing that it controls 2 USB Ports – 1st Port has your USB Mouse Connected – The 2nd Port is empty
(2) Driver Tab – Details should also have – usbhub.sys – Again what was there

3rd General info/comments/questions

(1) You did not specify – Existent or Nonexistent Devices – I assume that you did not complete the instructions – Did you have a problem
(2) The data you gave me about the – USB Root Hubs – partly correct but not complete – I assume the USB Mouse is functioning OK
(3) Do you have any other USB Devices
(4)

I don't see my printer

(5) Where are you looking – Printer Folder – Or – Device Manager
(6) The USB Root HUB is actually the USB Controller of your USB Ports – You accounted for 5 Ports
(7) How many does the PC have -
(8) Did you see any Yellow Warning signs or Exclamation signs – Useful Information
(9) I will Post/task you with more later – Get familiar with Device Manager -

Thanks -
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 17 February 2007 - 03:53 PM.

supraman383

supraman383

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
(1)In the USB Printing Support properties on the Driver tab I clicked on Driver Details and saw C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\usbprint.sys
(4)In the same USB Printing Support properties on the Details tab I found "Device Instance ID" USB\VID_043D&PID_00B9&MI_01\6&EF9E3D8&2&0001

USB Roots-
Both USB Roots have C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\usbd.sys and C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\usbhud.sys in the Driver Details tab.

When I view hidden devices, my printer shows up in device manager. There are no yellow warning signs anywhere in device manager.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03-supraman383[Lexmark X8350 All-in-One Printer Issue]17th FEB-2007

(1)In the USB Printing Support properties on the Driver tab I clicked on Driver Details and saw C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\usbprint.sys
(4)In the same USB Printing Support properties on the Details tab I found "Device Instance ID" USB\VID_043D&PID_00B9&MI_01\6&EF9E3D8&2&000

Well if that was the – USB Printing Support Folder in Device Manager – that is probably ok – Which was it – Existent – or Nonexistent –

USB Roots-
Both USB Roots have C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\usbd.sys and C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\usbhud.sys in the Driver Details tab.

Is that the spelling that was shown – usbd.sys – and – usbhud.sys and they were both listed in the Driver tab – one on top of the other –

If that was the spelling – than they may be corrupted – because they should be – usbhub.sys
were you able to update these drivers – to the correct – usbhub.sys

Perform the following Window Search Routine – for – *usb*.sys –

1- Click on Start] Button
2- Highlight Search
3- Click on For Files or Folders
4- Check Advance Options & Check Search Sub Folders
5- Search #1 – Type – *usb*.sys in the Block named – Folder or Files named
6- Click Search Now Button
7- Post back the results of all the spelling instances of – usbhub.sys – search

You are looking for – usbhub20.sys – and – usbehci.sys – and usbhub.sys
Particular I am looking for the correct spelling of usbhub.sys – Looks as if you might have a corrupted driver file – This can happen when you installing software & you have your - AntiVirus Program active – Remember the – NOTE – Disable all Windows Programs – This is why – If your PC decides to do a Scan on this driver file during an installation process – This is how files become corrupted – And it looks as if it happened twice –

Do you have access to another computer – so that you can down load an uncorrupted – usbhub.sys file and install in your PC – and delete those 2 corrupted files – Maybe just correcting the name might do the trick – I know that is what I do when I suspect a malware driver –just change/alter its name slightly - So try that 1st –

Then update the driver – You probably need to change the driver’s name in the System32/Drivers Folder and have Device Manager load it into the USB Root Hub Folder – Drivers usually have to be loaded from Driver Folders into the Application Folder - not just copied – They might be able to be copied into the PC Driver Folder – because they are just stored there – waiting for an installation process –

Good Luck -
Jack123

supraman383

supraman383

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry. It was a typo. The driver name is correct - it says "hub". What about the "usbd.sys"? Is that correct? I don't know what you mean by existent and nonexistent. I only see the printer when I click "show hidden devices".

When I did the usb search, I found usbehci.sys but I didn't find usbhub20.sys

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04-supraman383[Lexmark X8350 All-in-One Printer Issue]18th-FEB-2007

Ok – In my haste, to get my – Tools – to you, I forgot to add my brief explanation about – Existent – and – Nonexistent – Devices. The fact that you –

I only see the printer when I click "show hidden devices".

– means – Nonexistent Device – Which is a Device that completed the Plug & Play Installation Process – but is

(1) Not Connected to PC now
(2) Power Switch is – OFF
(3) Incomplete/Improper Installation Process

Beside – Just being able to view these items – using, - Hidden View – They are also distinguished/noted – by the – Light Gray Color Display –

Now this is a great aid – probably only to me – but it does verify –

I know my computer sees the printer because everytime I try to re-install it, I plug in the USB cable and the "found new hardware" bubble pops up.

I am just going to go for it right now – See if we can get a proper installation now – Using – Device Manager in Hidden Mode – Do the following steps for each – Instance of USB Printing Support Folder

(1) Turn Printer Off & Disconnect from PC
(2) Open – USB Printer Support Folder
(3) Click on – Driver Tab
(4) Click on – Uninstall Tab – Click – OK Tab – In Pop up Box
(5) Click [OK Tab to complete Uninstall

Repeat those steps for each – Instance of USB Printer Support Folder – Make sure Printer is disconnected & Off, when doing this procedure –

Now Shut down PC & turn off

(1) Connect the Printer to USB Port
(2) Turn power On to PC & Printer
(3) Boot up PC with printer connected

This may not work – but I think we were close enough to give it a try – from the info that I received – Post back the results – Keep an - observant eye – The Installation Process and report what you see during the Boot up – Some of what I mean is looking at display

(1) PC Turns On – Display shows Memory Test – Drives etc
(2) Windows Starts up with Black & White Progress Bar at bottom of screen –
(3) Windows gives another Start up Screen with a Blue Progress Bar at bottom of screen
(4) When Progress gets to the -75% Mark – Keyboard LEDs Flash – Optical USB Mouse Lamp will Turn on – This is when the USB Ports are Enumerated/detected – The printer should be detected at this time – I am not sure if you will notice anything by the printer – but if you have any USB Drives or HUBs – they will go thru this Enumeration Process in a sequence – Now perhaps the Scanner enumeration process may be noticeable –
(5) When the Blue Progress bar gets to 100% - Display may Blink & the Blue Windows Startup Screen appears with Windows Startup Block Messages will appear –
(6) It was during Step (4) that the printer was detected – USB Status/Class was determined – and the Printer Driver was installed for Plug & Play –
(7) Somewhere during the Windows installation – you should see – Plug & Play detection of New Device – This is why the Software has to be installed before the printer is connected – This is also the time where the Printer installation is critical –

This is where I need your observance – OK –

The USB Driver – usbd.sys – is a legitimate USB Driver, but I am sure of its Printer requirement – it is an old driver that I thought was for Digital Camera – I am not sure where it is to reside – Tell me again what folder did this driver appear –

I am also going to search around on Lexmark Website for more information of Printer Installation & what problems can occur –

Good Luck – But I only have a 50-50 confidence level that the Installation will be successful -

Jack123-

Edited by Jack123, 18 February 2007 - 10:03 AM.

supraman383

supraman383

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
the usbd.sys driver was in USB Roots. It actually could be the driver for my digital camera now that you mentioned it. Anyway, I unistalled the printer and disconnected it and restarted my computer with the printer connected and turned on. I got the "new hardware found" bubble pop up. I followed the installation steps that popped up. Then my computer said hardware installed and ready to use. I tried printing a test page and it happened again - printer cannot communicate with my computer.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
05-supraman383[Lexmark X8350 All-in-One Printer Issue]17th FEB-2007

Lets check Plug & Play Status of printer

(1) Open Control Panel
(2) Open – Add & remove Hardware Folder
(3) Is your printer listed in hardware to remove
(4) Close Add & Remove Folder

Lets check the Printer Software Status

(1) Open – Add & Remove Programs Folder in Control Panel
(2) Is Printer Software listed in Programs to remove
(3) Close Add & Remove Folder
(4) Close Control Panel

Post back results –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 18 February 2007 - 12:54 PM.

Advertisements

supraman383

supraman383

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I don't have an add & remove hardware folder, only an add hardware folder. In the add & remove programs folder, my printer software is listed.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
06-supraman383[Lexmark X8350 All-in-One Printer Issue]19th FEB-2007

Here is Information on that Driver Details – I will put together procedure later this morning hat should get printer working -

This is the Hexadecimal Code for Lexmark Series 8300 – Driver

File Name: - - - - - - - - - - - 11148.1
Description – Lexmark. - - 8300 series
Operating System: - - - - - - V 03 XP 2K
Version: - - - - - - - - - - - - 4.90.3000.0
File size:- - - - - - - - - - 39.1 MB

This is the Client/Function Driver for the Lexmark 8300 series printer. This is the communication between the Bus Drivers and WIN 32 Subsystem, which communicates to Operating System. This is what is missing. Well it is not really missing; just misplaced/lost – Not Registered.

This is the Driver embedded in the Printer Software that – Plug n Play has to install. This has to be in place before the Printer is Found – What is happening is. Plug n Play finds the Printer and goes thru the process of installing the Printer. The client driver was never registered. The Key Word is – Registered

Oooops – better leave – before PC turns into a pumpkin
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 18 February 2007 - 11:26 PM.

supraman383

supraman383

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I don't understand. How do I register it?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
07-supraman383[Lexmark X8350 All-in-One Printer Issue]19th FEB-2007

You don’t - - - - - Plug n Play has to place in your registry -

Good night
Jack123

supraman383

supraman383

• Topic Starter