Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc crashes

• Please log in to reply

tommy18

tommy18

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello.
I have 2gigs DDR2, xp home, Pentium 3.0, 6800 gs

I have had the same setup for about a year, and all of suddenly it would crash when i would run any game. I thought it could have been a virus or something so I formatted and it’s still causing the same problem. It varies from 10-60minutes before my pc crashes and I need to kill the power to the system so I can restart it. Such games include bf2 and cod2. It will not crash if i am just surfing the net or leaving it idle through the night Any ideas, any help will be appreciated.
Thank You

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would bet the components on your PC are overheating. When was the last time you took the side panel off the computer and cleaned out the dust with a can of compressed air? I suggest you do so if you haven't done it in a while, or have never done it.

Also, how many fans are in the computer, not including the one on the processor? You should have AT LEAST fan in the front blowing air IN and one fan at the back blowing air OUT.

If you want to check the temperature of the components of your computer, do the following:

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

Fenor

tommy18

tommy18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Desktop
Posted Image

10 mintues of playing cod2

Posted Image

45mintues of playing cod2 it would go from 60 to mid 70s for the temp.

Posted Image

i have not cleaned out my case i will do that next

tommy18

tommy18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have a fan on my processor, a case fan, fan for my power supply, fan on my video card

THUNDER BOLT

THUNDER BOLT

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
i had the same problem about a month ago and it got solved by itself.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Overheating is definitely a problem. You need at least one more fan. Where is the case fan located? The back of the computer? Which way is it blowing air? In or Out? Get another fan and put in on the front of the case and have it blowing air IN and make sure the case fan in the back, if the case fan that you said you had is indeed in the back, is blowing air OUT.

Let me know the temperatures after you have cleaned the dust out of the inside of the case with compressed air.

Fenor

tommy18

tommy18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
The case fan is in the back and it is blowing air out. I am not sure I can install another fan that would be located at the front of the case. Why all of sudden do i need more fans, shouldnt it have been overheating the first day i turned it on. Buying a can of compressed air seems harder to buy than a gun. I go to walmart, they wont accept my id since its out of state, and its not like i look 15. I go to another walmart and they wont sell it to me because its not ringing up in their system. Then i go to home depot...they dont sell it.....finally good ole kmart had it.
I sprayed the air and here are the results.

Desktop no programs running --------------------------------------------------------------An hour of gaming

Posted ImagePosted Image

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Did you clean the dust out of the fan that is physically located on your video card?

Fenor

tommy18

tommy18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Yes, I used 2 cans of the air, pulled out the video card, sprayed it and the slots. i sprayed everything in and out. are my temps high or normal?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The remote temperature is still very hot. Does the game still crash like it normally did or is it a lot more stable now?

Fenor

Advertisements

tommy18

tommy18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It seems to be a tad bit more stable. it got to a point of crashing ~5-10min now it goes without crashing for ~30min

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well ya gotta figure out what is overheating. If you have done it before, I suggest you buy some new good Arctic Silver Thermal Paste and re-seat the heatsink to the motherboard. Of course, make sure you remove all the old thermal paste from both the heatsink and cpu before applying the new thermal paste.

Fenor

tommy18

tommy18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
That idea might be above my tech level. also once in awhile i will get cut from the internet and a restart will fix it. the other computer on our network doesnt get disconnected from the net. i also notice that my case fan isnt running all the time.

Posted Image

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
If the case fun is not running all the time, you need to get a new case fan as the barrings inside are dying.

tommy18

tommy18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
can someone point me in the right direction to buying a new fan and installing it