Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uploading music

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
I was just wondering, is it illegal for me to upload a few songs for personal use to my website (not albums. Around 10-15 songs)? Would I get in trouble?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hey,

If they are the full length songs then I think you cant do that, However, if they are samples of the song such as 30 seconds of the songs then I think that is allowed...

Are you wanting to upload them to listen to when your not at your computer?

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Yeah, I want to make a playlist out of them.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hmmm...it is possible but since it is going to be on display to the public then that would be infringing copyright...which isn't a good thing.

Why don't you see if you can get a hold of an MP3 player to put your songs on...

EDIT - If the songs are your own work then it will be fine to put them on your site, however if they are other artists songs then if you do upload them to be listened to then you will be infringing copyright...

Edited by BARROS, 17 February 2007 - 09:16 AM.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Okay, thanks. I didn't think it would be legal (not much is now tbh =P), but I thought I'd check anyway.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
No problem...Its good that you've asked about it...many people just forget about copyright.

Being in a course to do with Multimedia Computing in college, copyright is a very big issue...

If you need any more help then just post here... :whistling:

Edited by BARROS, 17 February 2007 - 09:39 AM.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
you could always put them in a password protected area.. or get an ipod :whistling: