Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop has limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply

hhb

hhb

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have an HP Pavilion laptop running Windows XP home edition SP 2. I keep getting Limited or No Connectivity messages when the wireless attempts to get an IP address. I connect to a D-Link DI-524 router with version 3 firmware installed and WPA-PSK protection.

Unplugging the router and modem does not change the situation. The WinsockXPFix utility hasn't fixed it either.

I have been able to get around it by manually entering an IP address within the range of the router. However, I don't want to do that. It would keep me from visiting a local hotspot if I wanted to take my laptop to a public place.

I have a similar problem with a second laptop (compaq presario) running Vista Home Basic. None of the three options for repair work. Once again, a manually entered IP address works, but I want to use automatic IP address.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would check and make sure that DHCP is ENABLED on the router. If it is and you still can't get a connection, then I suggest you contact the routers tech support for assistance.

Fenor

hhb

hhb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Then it is time for help from D-Link's geeks. DHCP is definitely on. Some laptops in the house have no problem with automatically obtaining an IP address.

Thank you for your help.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi hhb,

If you can hard code the connection and it is functioning you should look at Start /Control Panel /Administrative Tools (clasic view) /Services. Be sure the DHCP Client is Started and set to automatic.

hhb

hhb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The DHCP is set to Disabled and Automatic. The logon information is set to my account on the machine (which is the only account at the present moment)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

The DHCP is set to Disabled and Automatic.

What do you mean by this? DHCP should have the STARTUP TYPE as Automatic and should be started.

Fenor

hhb

hhb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
That is exactly the status of the DHCP on the laptop: the startup type is automatic, and it has a status of started.