Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Btkrnl.sys Error!

• Please log in to reply

Meta12

Meta12

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey everyone,

Im currently working on a project, trying to fix my mums computer, except this problem kinda has me stumped.

Basically what happens is, when you turn on the computer, it seems to boot up fine, goes past the BIOS and straight into OS loadup, so i know this is a software related issue (also to eliminate the possiblilty of a hardware failure, i put the HDD into another laptop) After a few minutes of the OS trying to load, i get the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, only it doesnt stay on long enough for me to even look at what its trying to tell me.

Ive tried booting using safe mode, last known, but all keep coming back with the same problem, however when trying to boot in safe mode, i noticed that the last file it tries to load before i get the blue screen is Btkrnl.sys.

Ive tried running a repair with the XP Disc but wont even let me do that.

Is it possible to download something that will force it to bypass this, seeing as i just need to get to the files on the HD, i only need it to boot once.

Oh, heres what is on the system:

Windows XP Pro SP1
...unfortunatly i cant tell you anymore than this, as i cant get into the PC to tell you anything else.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

Meta12

Meta12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just had an idea.

If i went to install a new OS on the same HDD but in a new partition...would i then be able to access the old partition from the newly installed OS???

Meta12

Meta12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
scrap that....wont even let me do that...as soon as i press enter to install, goes back to Blue screen, however this time it stays on for longer, heres what it says:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

REGISTRY_ERROR

if this is the first time youve seen this STOP error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. if this is a new installation, ask you hardware or software manufaturer for any windows updates you might need.

if problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

technical information:

***STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000004, 0x00000001, 0xE111B7E8, 0x014272C8)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going by the instructions doesnt help either, its not a hardware issue, and i cant even get into the system to change any software conflictions. its definatly not a new installation, the IT admin at my mums work got hold of the computer, and its been doin this since then. (refuses to admit fault...has been fired since)
Its a DELL laptop so as far as disabling BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing, those options do not exist in the BIOS (unless im missing something)

Area 51

Area 51

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
That is the same thing that happened to mine in the post below this one.

Meta12

Meta12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Does any have any ideas???