Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No OS?

• Please log in to reply

Area 51

Area 51

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have a XT963 that I restored back to factory original. I restarted it several times and it started normally. The next day I plugged it in and turned it on and it would show the blue " HP VENT " screen and then it would go to the black " WINDOWS XP " screen, but it only stays on it for a second. Then the screen goes blank with a flashing underscore on the top left hand corner. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The blinking cursor usually means a faulty driver and/or failing/failed hardware. What was the reason why you decided to restore the computer back to factory defaults? Can you get into Safe Mode?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 17 February 2007 - 01:02 PM.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
No it doesn't show anything, the only thing it will let me do is go to system recovery but i won't do anything. The reason I restored it back was because it was showing errors or it won't come on at all. So I restored it back, the hardware you might be talking about is I installed a USB card that has the 2.0 ports because mine has 1.0. So I removed the card as it said and turned it back on and this is what it is doing now.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you know how to enter Safe Mode? You Tab F8 about once a second as soon as you turn on the computer on until you are shown the menu to choose Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ Networking, Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt, Last Know Good Configuration or Start Windows Normally. I want you to just try SAFE MODE, not any of the others.

Fenor

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I will have to go get it setup again so I can tell, give me a few minutes.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok I got it hooked back up, pressing F8 does nothing. It still shows the flashing underscore. Now it just goes to the HP Vent and start to the flashing underscore.

Edited by Area 51, 17 February 2007 - 02:22 PM.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok I got into the system recovery again and here is a screenshot of what it says;

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok I got into the system recovery again and here is a screenshot of what it says;

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1707a.jpg

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try restoring it back to factory defaults again now that you have the usb pci card removed. It is very likely that was causing the problem and now still is.

Fenor

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I did that a few days ago when it did it. I tried system restoring it again, but it wouldn't. It showed the screenshot above, so I shut it off and back on and now it says " NTLDR is missing press CTRL+ATL+DEL to restart ".

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That error in your picture normally applies to either the harddrive or memory is bad. Run a memory test, http://www.memtest.org

Fenor

*EDIT* -- That error applies to any kind of memory, could be either system memory (aka the memory sticks themselves) or video memory, meaning your video card is shot or onboard video is bad.

Edited by Fenor, 17 February 2007 - 05:30 PM.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I got the menu to pull up now but it won't start in safe mode and I tried it normally and it still won't. It says " Windows could not start because file "<Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll was missing or corrupt ".

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
You've really got yourself into a problem now..., can you get an OEM XP CD from a friend? if its not an OEM CD, then any CD thats your version of windows will work. If you can't find one, do you have Recovery CD's??

-OCM770-

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
No I don' t have recovery ones for this one but I do have some from another computer.