Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:00 PM
Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:14 PM
Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:11 PM
Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install.
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup.
Read the rest of the above page at the link before attempting a repair of your system.
Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:17 PM
Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:31 PM
I have not used a upgrade CD so it may be that you cannot use one for a repair install.
Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:40 PM
The problem i see is that it completely reinstalls XP to where you have to reregister it. While that is not a problem i think you will lose all your data on the system. So i would make sure you have backup of data you want to save before following the microsoft article.
Could i ask why you think you need a repair install?
Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:45 PM
Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:53 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users