Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express 6

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

madman29

madman29

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, for some reason when I use my spell checker in Outlook Express 6 it uses a French dictionary, when I check in options under spelling to change the dictionary I only have a the French Dictionary, how do I get an English dictionary.

Help Please :whistling:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

In OE, click on Tools/Options and select the Spelling tab. Under Language at bottom, click the scroll bar and select English. You may have to close and reopen OE.

Ron

madman29

madman29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Ron,

Yes, I already looked at that but I only have French in the drop down list, I don't understand whare all the other languages have gone

Rob. :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The spell checker in OE comes from the installation of MS Office. Do you have your Office cd still?
Johanna

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I try to find info at Microsoft, but probably put in the wrong search words. IE should have been installed when you installed XP Pro SR2 with the languages. Have you tried the Update site and used the Custom button to see what comes up? That will normall list a lot more than the critical updates for your PC. Possibly the only other thing to do is uninstall IE 6 and reinstall it. You should be able to do that with the Pro CD and using the Control panel's Add/Remove programs and populate the Windows apps (Add/Remove Windows Components).

Will see if I can find someone who may know the answer to this. Another suggestion, is to update to IE 7.0. I'm supprised you weren't notified by now that IE 6 had an update? :whistling:

Ron

P.S. Whoops, Johanna. I was still typing my reply and didn't see your post. :blink: I used the Hunt & Peck method.

Edited by Major Payne, 18 February 2007 - 09:15 AM.

madman29

madman29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, thanks for your help but i'm still having troubles. I have checked office and the dictionaries are all there and I can choose whichever one I want its set on English UK, but in OE 6 its just French.

madman29

madman29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello you lovely people, has anyone come up with an answer to my problem about no English dictionary in Outlook Express, but all dictionaries are in my MS office setup. :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Per Johanna's post, you should try reinstalling the Dictionaries.

See this thread that deals specifically with Outlook Express' Dictionary changing to French. It was a result of an upgrade from Office 2003 to Office 2007. I'm not sure it this is your situation, but it's worth a shot.

madman29

madman29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you, followed re-install instructions and all working again thanks again :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad to hear it. Thanks for posting the results :whistling:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.