Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Acer Laptop with windows XP giving nightmares

• Please log in to reply

Hudsboy

Hudsboy

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Every body,

I am a new member to Geekstogo...I am very grateful for letting me be a part of this community and I hope to learn and solve problems with the guidance I can get from this community.

My problems are many and I would like to describe them all

1) My laptop is an year old and its an Acer laptop which runs on a Intel Pentium M platform which has a processor of 1.73 Ghz whit 504 MB of RAM. I have SP 2 installed on it when i bought it... I used to listen to music and have a nice time with my laptop until one fine day i had a blue screen error and my problems started after that.

2) When I play music....the sound at times is like a stuttering , breaking, shattering kind of sound. what ever i play has that effect...the same is when i try to watch movies..

3) when it was new it used to take 5-10 seconds to start up and now it takes nearly 5 WHOLE MINUTES :whistling: to start up and it makes me cry sometimes.... :blink:

4) i need :help: to make it a smooth running laptop once again....i am knocking ur door with a lot of hope and i wish to see my laptop sparkling once again..

thank u and god bless

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Hudsboy and welcome to our friendly forum!

I'm assuming you have a third-party firewall and ant-virus package installed -- right? Both essential. If you don't, slowdown could be caused by viruses or other malware.

However, you should try the following first. Disable antivirus temporarily and run the Disk Defragmenter. If you've not done this for a while the data on the disk becomes fragmented or split up into pieces all over the disk which slows Windows down. Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter.

Another thing to check is how many program components are configured to start with Windows. Some may not be essential. The more there are, Windows takes longer to load fully and available memory is reduced. You can use Start>Run and type "msconfig" (without quotes) to view and disable any you decide are not essential. Just google each one to get an explanation of what it does.

If there is still no improvement, you may have a malware infection for which the standard procedure is to run a utility called "HijackThis" and post it's log on the Malware forum for advice. Full tutorials are in the "pinned" posts on that forum, here: http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

Hudsboy

Hudsboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Pip,

I already defragmented both my partitions C&D and also did the disk cleanup...I also did the ATF Cleanup from the forum u gave me.

I have as a resort posted my hijack this log file after doing the scan in the Malware section...

Thanks once again and hope to get some great advice to keep the laptop nice and shiny.

Thanks once again

Hudsboy

Hudsboy

Hudsboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Pip,

I tried to defragment and it took ages...no change in sound or performance still. Is there any thing else I can do to make the sound improve..

thanks again pip :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Right click task bar > task manager. In "processes" go to the last one on the list, "system idle process" and report what you find there. It should be over, about, 95% when the computer is idling.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Go to "Start">>"Run" type in devmgmt.msc double click on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, double click on Primary IDE Adaptor, under the "Advanced Settings tab check that your Current Transfer Rate is set to DMA, if it is set to PIO uninstall the Primary IDE Controller and reboot your PC. Windows will reinstall the IDE adapter with the proper DMA settings.

Hudsboy

Hudsboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi skeptic,

Thanks for replying to my post. I checked the system idle process as u asked me and it is varying from 95 - 99. I did this while being logged on to www.geekstogo.com. I dont know what that is for but.

Thanks...
Hudsboy

Hudsboy

Hudsboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi CMW2010,

I checked the settings as u asked me to and I found that I have two setting....and both are set to DMA if available...I didnt have to reinstall it as it wasnt on PIO....I dont know what it is? But its on DMA at the moment.

thanks again CMW2010.....

keep up the good work buddy!!! :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try the following:

Download PageDefrag (link in my signature). Extract the files and set it to run upon next bootup.

Run ckeck disk: My Computer > right click local disk c: > properties > tools > error checking > check now. Check the boxes and start. Let the process run all the way. If you have more then partition repeat the process for the other partitions.

Download and run BurnIn Test (link in my signature). It's a hardware test program. a 30 days trial version that enables 15 minutes scan. That's not very much but that's what we have available.

Please do everything mentioned here and report results.

Hudsboy

Hudsboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello Skeptic,

Thanks for replying to my post. I am really grateful to u.

the results of the tasks u asked me to do are as follows.

Check disk : I did this on both my partitions and it did take a really long time to happen and it happened in phases.It took about 2 hours to finish on bot partitions.

Burnin test: the test was really interesting to do and was really visually appealing. The sad part is it said I failed the test. I think it has a lot of problems in the CD section but I didnt have any CD inside. I did it again but with a CD inside the drive and I passed with flying colours.

Pagedefragment: I did this also as requested. It reduced the fragments from 2 to 1 here.

The general speed of rebooting is still the same though..The burn it test confirms no hardware problems but I wonder if there is any problem in the registry.The sound when playing music is still the same kind.

Another problem skeptic is that when I click on some things it doesnt respond to it. For instance on startup i wait for the system tray icons to appear after booting and click on IE and it doesnt comeup for 2-3 minutes. :whistling:

Thanks for the great help....I really enjoyed what u asked me to do till now...thanks again bro...

Kind regards,
Hudsboy :help: :help: :blink:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please enter task manager and in "performance" look for "physical memory (k)". Please report "total" and "available".

Please enter BIOS and search for an option that enables or disables cache memory. You may not find such option because on laptops very often you have limited access to BIOS settings. If you do, however, make sure that cache memory, both level 1 and level 2 are enabled. It's a rare occurance but I have seen it disabled.

Please report how many partitions you have on your hard disk, what size each and how much free space is available on each (my computer > right-click local drive > properties).

Please download install and run Everest (link below). Go to: Computer > Sensor. Wait few seconds and wait until the page fills up. Please report temperatures and voltages. Please send only these values. Not a full report.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi Hudsboy,

After looking through the hijack this log the only thing I see that could cause the symptoms you describe is a corrupted install of McAfee.

Go to Start /Run /Open=msconfig. Go to the services tab and click on the "hide windows services". Uncheck the ones for McAfee. Next go to the Startup tab and click "disable all" then click OK and restart when prompted. When the machine reboots you will get a notification that you hve used the systems configuration utility, put a check in the box and click OK.

Is the problem still there?