Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system restore help

• Please log in to reply

tinabudde

tinabudde

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had problems with spyware in the past and 1 trojan, not sure how I got them as I had nortons 2007 and kept up to date, also have spybot search and destroy, winpatrol, spyware guard, identity theft protection and arovax shield, I do defrag and disk clean on regular basis and use crap cleaner too. Nortons was constantly saying engine error and made me slow so I moved over to Windows Live One Care which has been a major hassle as well. My scanner wasn't working today and was yesterday, I went to system restore to go back and it will not work. I ran all programs, no virus or spyware, etc. I unchecked restore rebooted and rechecked and tried to make a restore point, nothing, it just simply does not work. Any clue on how to find out why and/or how to fix it? My computer is a Hewlett Packard pavilion551W. I figured out that a windows update for microsoft digital studio was the cause of the scanner because I tried to reinstall my scanner from disk, it seemed to install ok but hp icons won't work, but going directly to the scanner in my computer and clicking now brings up microsoft digital studio and in add/remove I noticed an update.

any help is appreciated, and if my system restore somehow is shot, is there another program I can use, to download to make restore points that is a good one.

Thanks, Tina

Advertisements

tinabudde

tinabudde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
PS: I just realized the operating system section is more than 1, my system is XP. sorry.

tina

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\inf and press enter

2. Locate the Sr.inf file, (listed as Sr), right-click the file, and then click Install.

3. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse. Locate the Sr.sy_ file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, click the file, and then click Open.

4. When the installation is completed, restart your computer.