Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Spontainous shutdowns, freeze ups, and reboots

• Please log in to reply

olderwhiskeynandfasterhorses

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
My computer will spontaneously shutdown and usually start back up or it will freeze up. When i say freeze up i mean that the screen will continue to show what was on it but nothing i do: furiously pound on my keyboard or throw my mouse at the wall, will do anyting. I have also noticed that some computer games wont show up right. For instance, John Deere American Farmer will not show many of the pictures or words on the buttons. I have no problem playing Call of Duty 2 or Medal of Honor Pacific Assault. I think this is a Direct X problem on my computer, ive tried reinstalling a dozen times already though. I don't believe its a virus because I have NOD32. And I update every time I connect to the internet. I buit this computer about 9 months ago and my problems ups started about 5-6 months ago. I am a very novice computer builder. I took a comp. repair class in highschool last year, but we used a book that was at least 5yrs old(before XP came out) and I learned everything else on the internet. I have very slow internet, dial-up 19.5KBS per second. My problem seems more often than not, to occur within 15-20 minutes of start up. I hope the problem is not serious because I have limited funds. And I also hope that it doesnt require alot of downloading, cause my internet periodically disconnects this causes problems because i usually hafta restart the download. So downloading take long time especially because my average download speed is 2kb/s. I hope I didnt make this too wordy. Any help would be great.
I have a AMD Athlon X2 3800 CPU
Geforce 6600gt video card
Biostar TForce SLI nVidia NForce4SLI ATX mobo
Seagate 120GB Barracuda SATA
1x1GB Corsair DDR PC3200 RAM
Aspire Discovery case w/ 4 case fans plus a hdd fan
Rosewill 500w pwrspply
56Kb Fax modem
I hope I didnt make this too wordy. Any help would be great.

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Before we start properly troubleshooting the cause of this, please download Speedfan from the following link:

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Please install the program, run it and reply with the temperatures given (Temp1,2,3,HD), Fan speeds (xxxxRPM) and the voltages, VCore1,VCore2, 3.3v+, 5v+ etc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
HOLY!, I hope this isnt right but SpeedFan says
temp 1 127C
temp 2 127C
temp 3 31C
temp 1C
temp 33C
HD0 27C
temp 1 40C
core 30C

Do you think that this is the right readings?, if so how do I lower the temp. and what component is temp 1, 2, and3

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
the temps at "127C" is just bad or misinterpreted data and is nothing to worry about (chances are that they're not plugged in or something). The rest of the temps do not look bad to me.

Obviously drivers are something to look into, but another thing I would like to check is your memory. If any part of the RAM has gone bad, the computer will crash whenever it tries to use that bad memory.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Download the iso image from the above site. It's not too big just a rather simple but very useful app

http://www.deepburner.com/

download the free utility from the above website, use it to burn the .iso image to the disk, and boot your computer with the disc to boot from it.

Run all tests overnight or at least 8 hours. What this will do will keep looping several tests on the memory. The memory should come up with absolutely 0 errors if the memory is fine.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I just finished the memtest and I left it on for 20hrs and there have been zero errors. what else should I do?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
would the problem be caused by the bios not being updated? I thought that I updated it, but I'm not sure if it worked because i got pretty confused on their website <searching the internet is slow w/ my dial up, especially when all of their graphic stuff doesn't show up>.