Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing screen

• Please log in to reply

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Guys,
once again, I am looking for a little help please. After starting my pc, it crashes, with the screen freezing. I also cannot use the , Control - Alt - Delete, to stop the application I am using at that time. I have to reboot. this happens both when I am online and offline. Sometimes after only about 6 minutes after reboot. Although I have a creative sound card installed, I use the on board sound. would the fact that I have the sound card installed in the MB and not using it , have anything to do with the problem. Any help is appreciatted, please.

Lucky

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I doubt the sound card is the problem, but it would not hurt to pull the SB card out. Why have it in there if its not being used? I would think more interms of memory, or low power, and maybe a heat problem causing the problem.

You can download Memtest86, put the program to a floppy or CD and test your memory. Any errors at all usually means this is the problem.

http://www.memtest86.com/

If your memory is good the next thing i would check is the 12 volt line for the power supply. I download Speedfan for this and it just so happens it also reads the motherboard sensor temps. If your temps are over 60°, or your 12 volt line is below 11.8 volts, this is where your problem is. You could also have a low 5 volt line but this is seldom the real problem as most of the time its both the 12 volt and 5 volt.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

If it is none of these it is usually a program running in the background using a lot of memory. In XP a ctrl-alt-delete brings up the task manager and look in the processes tab for programs using a lot of memory. Also look in the performance tab for cpu usage. You may have to go thru and find what program is causing this by trial and error.

SRX660

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Thanks, SRX, for the advice. I will try what you suggested, asap. By the way, I now have the creative labs sound card working, and have swithced off the onboard sound. I will wait and see if that sorts it as well.

Cheers

Lucky