Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update Error Message

• Please log in to reply

JSlayer

JSlayer

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello,

This morning I had the little yellow triangle with the exclamation point in it, lettling me know that there was an important security update from windows. I double clicked on the icon and it began to download the updates. Once the updates were DL'ed I again clicked the yellow icon to begin the install. Once the 17 updates were installed I was prompted to restart my computer. Pretty standard stuff, we've probably all done it a hundred times without much thought. Well today all :blink: broke loose!

After my restart, my AVG 7.5 e-mail scanner and my firewall were both disabled and I can't get them to work. When I click on activate firewall it gives me this message, "the service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it (1058)." When I click on activate e-mail scanner it does nothing. So I tried to restart my computer again and now my resident shield is down too. It says resident shield is not loaded.

My next thought was to contact AVG for support, but each time I tried to send an e-mail to them it says error sending message, please try again later. That has never happened before. So then I thought maybe something was wrong with the internet, nope websites come up without any issues.

The next thing that happened confused me even more. I tried to share a word document with my networked computer and it doesn't see my other computer. The last thing I tried to do was go to the control panel and click on the windows update tab on the left under See Also (windows XP). When I click on the link it gives me this error message, "Windows cannot find '(null)'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search." :whistling:

It was about that time that I decided to alternate between crying and insulting the family lineage of my computer. I know I have nothing to go on but speculation, but I always feel like someone else has remote access to my computer some how. I know it can't be someone with physical access to my computer because we have cameras. If anyone can offer any suggestions I would be forever greatful. Thanks in advance for anyones time who read this.

I know that you know, that I know they are watching me!
JSlayer

Advertisements

street1

street1

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Have you went to system restore to an earlier time
and tried that?

JSlayer

JSlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Have you went to system restore to an earlier time
and tried that?

:whistling: yeah maybe I shoulda tried that huh? LOL!

Ok I restored it back to yesterday morning, way before there were any problems. It restarted and it appeared that AVG was working, but then AVG started an auto download and the firewall and e-mail scanner stopped working again. All the other problems; can't see other computer, error message when clicking windows update, they are all still present. Now its prompting me for that windows security update again. Thanks for the advice though :blink: . Anyone have any other suggestions?

JSlayer

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I would go to Add/Remove programs and delete all updates from the date when things went wrong. Or wait for a Staff member to advise.

Edited by Malcolm59uk, 18 February 2007 - 12:35 PM.

Salku69

Salku69

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Well Yea Same Thing Happened to Me today as well and i suspected it trying to add a few things that seemed wierd for ex. a virus protector?
Yea used the system restore to get rid of the d/ls and also ran SDfix which does seem to work

http://downloads.and...Tools/SDFix.exe

Download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.

Double click SDFix.exe and it will extract the files to %systemdrive%
(Drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix)

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :

* Restart your computer
* After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
* Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
* Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
* Choose your usual account.

* Open the extracted SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
* Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
* It will remove any Trojan Services and Registry Entries that it finds then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
* Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
* When the PC restarts the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
* Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt

JSlayer

JSlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Well Yea Same Thing Happened to Me today as well and i suspected it trying to add a few things that seemed wierd for ex. a virus protector?
Yea used the system restore to get rid of the d/ls and also ran SDfix which does seem to work

http://downloads.and...Tools/SDFix.exe

Download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.

Double click SDFix.exe and it will extract the files to %systemdrive%
(Drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix)

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :

* Restart your computer
* After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
* Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
* Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
* Choose your usual account.

* Open the extracted SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
* Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
* It will remove any Trojan Services and Registry Entries that it finds then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
* Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
* When the PC restarts the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
* Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt

Thank you for trying Salku69, I've tried three different restore points now and all three failed. It keeps telling me to try a different restore point. I went all the way back to Feb 1st and it still won't take it. I'm getting nervous because now I am getting netBIOS alerts from zonealarm on my other computer. Each time I get a warning message the port that gets blocked goes up by one. For example, the first error said something like, blocked netBIOS session at port 1040, then about 30 seconds later it said, blocked netBIOS session at port 1041, and so on and so on. It's like someone is checking for open ports or something? I'm in desperate need of some guidance. If anyone has any ideas of how to stop this, I'd be very greatful. Thanks in advance,

JSlayer