Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Standby & Hibernate Options both Disabled

• Please log in to reply

TheQuij

TheQuij

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
For some strange reason, the hibernation and standby options have been removed from not only my Shutdown menu, but also from the power management menu on the control panel. I use a Thinkpad T43 laptop.

I tried searching other forums for similar symptoms faced by other users. Though I have succeeded in finding similar cases to my own, none of their solutions seem to solve my own. I have already updated every driver which may have caused the problem, along with examining the BIOS for any possible conflict, yet both of these have not enabled allowed me to enter sleep mode.

When I brought my troubles to the attention of the tech support group at my school, even they were unable to identify my issue, though they were able to deduce that my problem is software-related and that my best bet would be re-imaging the hard drive entirely.

As you can guess, I'm not in favor of removing all data from my hard drive only to solve such a truly minute problem such as this, especially when I heard that a couple of people had faced the same problem even after having their computer reformatted.

Regardless, I really would like some assistance at this point.

I also forgot to mention that instead of entering standby/hibernating, my monitor's back light shuts off until I press a button on my keyboard or mouse, at which point the monitor turns off completely. When I open the notebook or let go of the sleep button, the screen turns back on, slightly darker at first, and then flashing the screen once or twice, off then back on, before returning to its original state, with the monitor on (resetting the video driver?).

Sincerely,
TheQuij

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Many laptops have their own 'branded' power-options applet in Control Panel which should be used instead of the Windows one.

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Yes, mine does as well-- the IBM Power Manager. Though I am able to access this application, the standby and hibernation options are unable to function properly even still. Every time that I say "Enable hibernation," the box clears when I press apply.

On top of that, "standby," even when in effect, makes no difference as to whether or not it physically enters standby, always switching the power options back when I apply the standby option.

Despite what the power manager says, it seems to have absolutely no effect on its standby or hibernation options. Attached is a screen shot of my desktop. Note how the standby sub-menu does not exist in the power managing options from the control panel applet, while the option does exist in the IBM power manager. Additionally, the "Enable hibernation" box is stuck, unchecked, and it forces itself to remain that way. Pressing any of the buttons (Fn+F12/F4/etc.) also has no effect on entering hibernation or standby, while closing the laptop, as I had mentioned earlier, does absolutely nothing, regardless of what the Power Manager says.

In short, something seems to be overriding my existing power managers, both the provided Windows and IBM programs. Also, these two programs are in no way preventing each other from performing tasks; it is something else.

-TheQuij

Attached Thumbnails

• Desktop.JPG

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Moving this to the XP forum for additional attention.

Johanna

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I have a T43. It will get a mind of it's own so I disconnect the power and remove the battery for thirty minutes and that gets it back on track.

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Yeah, I think I've tried that before. It didn't seem to help much-- its futility allowed the technical support group at my school to determine that it had been a software problem. Thanks for the advice anyway.

-TheQuij

Edited by TheQuij, 28 February 2007 - 04:15 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the new window that appears, are there any items with a yellow ? or ! next to them? List any that do in your next reply.

Fenor

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks for the response!

From what I can tell, none of the devices have either of the examples you gave. I guess it must be something else.

-TheQuij

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Reinstall the Video Card Drivers.

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
As mentioned in my first post, I have already reinstalled every single driver on my system several times at this point, with no success whatsoever.

-TheQuij

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I did some researching and I found a website that might be promising. It states pretty much the same problem you are having. It says to download a hotfix from Microsoft. You can download the hotfix below:

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

The original site where I got this information from can be found HERE.

Hope that solves your problem.

Fenor

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Nope... No luck :/

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Nothing else I can think of then. Most likely you'll need to do a reinstall of Windows.

Fenor

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I think I might have found a possible cause for my issue in a website full of other users with a common problem to my own.
http://www.cincomsma...ntry=3302843044
It was only later on in the blog that they figured out the way to solve it. Tell me what you think of it in regards to how it might connect to my instance. I would really appreciate it.

-TheQuij

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you tried any of the suggestions on that link you found?

I'm also wondering if you went to the manufacturer's website and downloaded the latest video drivers or used the ones that came with your cds? I think Fenor mentioned that early on- did you try it?
Johanna