Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Standby & Hibernate Options both Disabled

• Please log in to reply

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm really sorry about all this trouble I've been giving you guys.

I know for a fact already that I have uninstalled, reinstalled and updated just about every driver on my system, so I know it doesn't have to do with the drivers (the IBM Software Installer allowed me to do this). I did download the hotfix that Fenor linked me, but it did absolutely nothing to help my issue. Furthermore, I did look at the thread on the linked website and attempted virtually any possible solution they had mentioned, with no avail.

I truly apologize for not providing any feedback--the blog mentions how they got help from the Geeks to Go staff--so I tried to post another thread in the Malware section of the site. Currently, I haven't received any responses yet.

Thanks for all the help!
-TheQuij

Advertisements

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Oh, I forgot to mention something-

Strangely, the hibernate tab is nonexistent in the platform Power Options menu, and every time that I "enable hibernation" in the IBM Power Manager and press "apply," the checked box clears itself, but, for some strange reason, the file "hiberfil.sys" still continues to exist on my C: drive (It is not created when I do anything to the Power Manager but is rather there from the moment I log on.). I suppose that the file could be corrupt.
Additionally, when I attempt to remove the file on normal mode, it explains It cannot be deleted: File is in use by another process. I have, indeed, tried to boot into safe mode to delete the file, but it doesn't exist whenever I enter safe mode!
I figure reinstalling Windows might help to solve the problem, but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to things like this, so I don't want to jump to any conclusions.

-TheQuij

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, TheQuij.

1. Do you have more than one user on the computer? I'd like to confirm that the behavior is not specific to your Windows user account. Be sure the other use is in the Administrator security group. If you don't have a second user, you can add one or use the default Administrator user. At the Welcome Screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to display the classic log-in screen. Type in Administrator as the user name and its password (it may be blank unless you remember setting one during the initial install of Windows).

Does this problem exist under the other user? If not, then you need to create a new User account for yourself and copy your profile settings. I can provide additional instructions if this is the case.

2. Do you have a Windows CD? If so, try running System File Checker (SFC). It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.
  • Place the Windows disk in your CD ROM drive
  • Start > Run > cmd then type
  • sfc /scannow (note the space), allow this to run until you get a message saying it is complete.
SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Did that fix the problem?

3. If not, can you determine which software (or device driver, software update, etc) you might have installed around the time you noticed Standby and Hibernation were no longer options? Try uninstalling that software.

4. It may be time to install a Windows fresh. If you received a Windows disk with your system, you should be able to reinstall with no problem. However, if IBM places the reinstall files on a hidden partition of the hard drive, you'll need to use their restore procedure. Be sure to back up your data and files first.