Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burning DVDs

• Please log in to reply

bazzala

bazzala

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm tearing my hair out, I can't burn anymore onto DVDs,I've tried DVD+R, DVD-R, CD, numerous applications including Nero and WinDVD Creator.

It always seems to be working then towards the end gives an error message. I tried it with a short sample and it worked once, but can't do a full movie.

Any advice?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had this happen everytime one program that was running in the background decided to access the hard drive i would get a error message. It was always at the very last part of a burn. I fixed it by finding the offending program and stopping it in the services or task manager processes window. When i needed to use the program again i usually had to reboot but most of the time i just waited until the next day when i started the computer up again. I had to trial and error until i found the program causing the problem. It was my Photoshop program on one computer and it was a "folding at home" program on another computer. It took about 4 CD's before a good burn happened. I just stopped each program one at a time and then tried burning a music CD. Do not stop Explorer or services, that stops everything. Cheap enough at 40¢.

SRX660

bazzala

bazzala

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Cheers for this.

There are so many processes running under task manager, any ones more likely than others to be stopping it working?

Did you stop one process at a time BEFORE you tried a burn, or during a burn? There is a stage during the burn when it seems to stick for ages, is this a time when I could try stopping some of the processes?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, i stopped a program before i started a burn. How did i pick them? I looked for programs that usually tried accessing the internet for updates first. After that i picked the large programs, stopped them one by one and tried burning a CD until i got a good burn. I knew that the last program i stopped had caused the problem.

Heres a list of a lot of services. Look at them and decide if you want to stop them.

http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm

SRX660