Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete MPEG

• Please log in to reply

cindylou32

cindylou32

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a file on my computer, it's a video file, that won't delete. I can't rename it, open it, delete it, move it, can't do anything with it. I've tried Unlocker and MoveOnBoot, but nothing worked. I tried rebooting in safe mode to delete that way, but that didn't work either. When I right click on the file, there are only 4 or 5 options there, compared to the long list that's usually there when you right click a file. "delete" is not there, either. It doesn't give an error message either, nothing. Most topics I have searched were only applicable to files that are being used by another application. This is not the case with this one. Any suggestions? At wit's end!! :whistling:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's most likely an infected file of the type that users of P2P file-sharing apps get. Short of a complete re-install of Windows (which I decided to do when it happened to my son), you will have to run the "HijackThis" utility and post it's log-file to the malware forum as it's quite likely you have other malware infections too.

The malware forum has 'sticky' posts to explain how to proceed.

Malware forum here: http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Just found this post from another forum. May help.
You can get "Unlocker" here: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Remember, use Unlocker on the 'folder' not the file, as described in this post:

I got "Unlocker", and tried it out. At first it said that the "folder has no Locks". I pounded my fist on the table in great disappointment. I glumly clicked the "OK" button. And then another window popped up, "But we can help you with this folder" I clicked on the drop-down list, selected 'Delete' and "poof" the folder was GONE! I didn't believe my eyes! I restarted the computer, it was still gone! I've been trying to get rid of that headache for weeks!

cindylou32

cindylou32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The file I wish to delete is in a folder with several others files, if I 'unlock' the folder, will I end up deleting all files in that folder? Thanks for the replies.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi and welcome,

no, while you are running unlocker you can delete as if it were normal because it only overrides the process which is blocking the deletion just make sure that the little unlocker icon is working and showing on the taskbar, also another idea which you may have already done is to delete it while in safe mode using unlocker

Edited by fleamailman, 19 February 2007 - 07:39 AM.