Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with SoftGate 4-in-1 Wireless Networking Solution

• Please log in to reply

OracleManEXE

OracleManEXE

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
:whistling: OK, I'm new to networking, but I didn't count on this thing being as big of a problem as this. I ordered this USB router/ap/bride/station device made by SoftGate to act as a router so I could connect my laptop to the Internet anywhere in the house. It has built-in 802.11b networking, BIOS and Freespire both say it's made by Cisco, an Aironet card. Anyway, I follow the instructions provided by SoftGate to install the router and Freespire to link it to a wireless network, but I'm stuck where I started. I check the settings in SoftGate's program, and it says it starts in station mode. What's worse is that XP keeps thinking that the USB device is a receiver instead of a router, so I have a software conflict somewhere, I think.

So I'm asking for help and advice in this issue. Did I make a bad buy? Should I just consider buying a standard wireless router or can I make this work? Please help respond ASAP, please!!! :blink:

Advertisements

zatchmo

zatchmo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
im having the exact same problem!! I was able to get my laptop to recognize the signal, and it retrieved my desktop's ip address, but i got no internet activity out of it. Can someone please help us understand how this USB wireless router works?? Here's a link to what we're talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...2QQcmdZViewItem

Stevespunani

Stevespunani

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I Bought this same BS!!! I bought this for the router so I could connect my laptop. After reinstalling this thing a couple of times and messing around with it I finally got signals but no internet connection. I plugged my modem to my laptop a couple of times then back to the desktop. I ran my mediacom(cable) cd on my laptop. My laptop finally connected to internet. The southgate wasn't getting an IP address. I don't know what the [bleep] I'm doing. So, all I can say is make sure there's some type of internet connection on your computer or call internet service provider and ask them to help. Make sure once you do get IP address, write it down along with gateway, dns server, network name, etc.

Once I got connected to the internet, I thought that I was home free. The next day, no connection!!! Didn't want to switch modem around or run internet cd so I set up a new connection and entered the IP address, network name, dns server, etc manually. Restarted computer, I was connected to the internet again.

Now that I've figured out how to connect to the internet, I can't connect on my laptop unless I turn on the d___ desktop. Ain't that a B____!!!!

Now I have to fool around and see if there's a setting for this. There's no point in having a laptop if I have to turn on the desktop.

This product sucks!!! Waste of money. Come out better getting a regular router.

I also tried to share a folder from the desktop, my computer seemed to freeze up, then the fan came on in the computer and ran for a long time.(I think it's tearing up my computer. It did this twice. I had to hold the power button until computer cut off. Once restarted, my screens looked greenish in color as if something is wrong.

Thanx for reading!!!

izinxo

izinxo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The Softgate 4in1 is probably my most valuable tool. Simply stick it in a usb port, install drivers, and Bam! You can be an access point, a bridge between 1 connection and another (increasing the range of original connection), or just receive. Sure, sometimes there's no "Bam!", and it takes a little fooling with, but a product isn't faulty just because I cant get it to work. Patience and diligence, that is the only trick to computers. Usually, just disabling windows wifi manager, or, enabling it thru your firewall does it. For me, they have always worked perfectly. Just configured wrong. Once done, "Set it 'an ferget it!"
I said "no way" but bought 2 on ebay for 12.99 each, shipped, it sounded too good to be true. I have since bought many more for friends and clients. Currently, I'm searching the net for more before they fade away. Sure, its only the b connection and not b/g but who cares? I'm not killing myself to eke out every kb of speed just for home use.
My knowledge of networking is limited but in almost every case, getting a connection can be tricky no matter who the manufacturer is or the price. (I know nothing of entering ip's and stuff, I just tried it this way, that way, the other way, reboot, etc.) To take a wired connection to another room requires at least 2 pieces of hardware, an access point (wireless router), and a wireless receiver. Where can you find a wireless router for $13? To get them both for only $26 is astounding considering places like Walmarts will charge $30-$50! For each!
Bam! Printer is Networked!
Shhhh! Where can I get more???

Edited by izinxo, 01 December 2007 - 09:33 AM.

gptawde

gptawde

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi,

I am facing a problem here while installing the Softgate application on my Win2K SP4 PC. I have got the installer CD. When I run the application, the UI is all distorted. All the controls are scatterred all over and none of them is clickable. This same installer works fine on XP. However the user manual says that it supports Win XP as well as 2000.

Ofcourse, worst case I will have to install XP on my PC, but that's the last resort.

Anybody faced this issue before? Any possible solution? Does it require a different installer?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ganesh

computergenius

computergenius

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello people i have this Sofgate 4 in 1 aswell but i have masterd it !
I wont be able to explain this over here because it is very complicated i will be happy to explain and help you over MSN Messenger my email address is [email protected]!
I have to say it took me a while to use this as it looks pretty lame but it does the job for me because i use my iPod touch on it and other things such as laptop's,PSP, and Wii.
The quality of the connection is great !
I will be happy to help you over msn because it is so much easier and once you discover how to use it you will be very happy !
Its cheaper than a router very ! i bought this item from ebay, otherwise if i had bough a router it would of probably cost four times the price .
But anyway please do reply to this as you need this help and there is no help from Softgate.
They don't exactly explain everything in detail which they provided a instruction manual on the disc and on paper but neither of them help.
I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP ANY NUMBER OF PEOPLE SO PLEASE DO CONTACT ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE !!!!! :)
I am your saviour so reply soon !
From

Nick

Edited by computergenius, 11 August 2008 - 07:40 AM.