Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply

Jontromanob

Jontromanob

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone. I would highly appreciate any help on this issue. My emachine XP-home-sp2 machine has been shutting itself down intermittently. Sometimes I turned it on and it shuts down within 5 minutes or sometimes it runs ok for 20-30 minutes, then I see suddenly it shows "Windows is shutting down, logging off", then shuts down. Then after a while it tries to restart on it's own, but can't. If I leave it like this it tries to restart all night long like every 10-20 minutes. But sometimes when I turn it on, it doesn't shut down right away or after 20-30 minutes, in stead it runs ok for about 1-1 and a half hour with no shutting down. I changed the original PSU that was only 350 watts with a powerful 450 watts PSU. I installed a case fan inside. I cleaned the dusts from the CPU fan. I changed the thermal compound between the cpu and heatsink. I couldn't check the cpu temp. from the motherboard so I installed MSAlert4 to check the temperature of cpu and it's showing -128 (minus) degree celcius (!?) :tazz: . At this point I am totally loss ! I don't know what else I can do to get this thing fixed. I did the virus scan (Norton) & spyware scan(Spyware exterminator)--nothing found.
Any thoughtful help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi'

Have you reinstalled the os?

It may also help to turn on BSODs in your computer properties. That way you can have some idea as to what's causing Windows to die, if it isn't a hardware issue.

This can be done by right clicking "my computer"->properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery Settings
Uncheck the "Automatically restart checkbox.

If you get the BSOD, post the error and DLL that is causing it.

As far as the cpu temp try using Everast and see if it works
Also try this by very carefully touching the base of the heatsink (HS)
70C = Burnt Fingures
60C = Painfull
50C = Hot
40C = Pleasantly Warm

I would also run memtest86 for at least 3 passes.

Post back your findings

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
One other more simple thing you should try first is another keyboard.
Don't ask its a long story just give it a shot it if you have a extra.

Rick

Jontromanob

Jontromanob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks rick.
I'm gonna try all these you've told me. I'll keep you posted.