Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Setup Causes Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

bigdave

bigdave

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
When I try to use XP's setup program on a Compaq Presario M2000. I know it's the AMD Sempron edition. As for the other specs, I can't even begin to tell you. It's a friend's PC, and he came to me for help. Frankly though, I'm at a serious loss. The story so far is:

- Came down to me with an NTDETECT error on boot-up. This caused an automatic restart of the system.
- I tried to run XP's setup program via CD boot-up to initiate a repair installation. This is when I noticed the probem. In the setup program, it loads all the files at the beginning, and just when it says "Setup is Starting Windows" and it's about to load the installation menu, the Laptop switches off.
- I then tried to format the C drive and run XP's setup again. No change.
- Then, it seemed to me like I should try and install a copy of Windows 98SE. That installed sucessfully. I did this because for some reason, I figured the MBR could be the problem, and I wanted to overwrite it. It was probably a stupid move, but I had to try.
- Once Windows 98 was installed, I tried to run XP's setup again. Still, no difference.

Since all that I've tried using a Win98 bootdisk and doing a "sys a: c:" and I've also tried Norton Save & Restore to restore the MBR. Nothing has made the slightest difference with respect to installing XP. I can't even go into the Recovery Console to execute "fixboot" and "fixmbr". So, right now I'm stuck with a XP built Laptop running Windows 98. I've left 98 on just in case it may be needed in any solution that may arise.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be happy to hear them. I'm stuck right now, and I don't know anybody with the know-how in fixing problems like these.

Thank you,
Dave.

Edited by bigdave, 18 February 2007 - 08:49 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bigdave...

This would have been a pretty straight forward fix before 98 was installed... :whistling:

How is the boot priority set up in the BIOS? It needs to be CD-ROM first, then the HDD, then the Floppy drive.

At this point, I would try to boot to the XP cd and delete all the partitions on the drive...then see if XP will format the raw partitions and install properly.

wannabe1

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hi bigdave...

This would have been a pretty straight forward fix before 98 was installed... :whistling:

Yup :blink:

I later discovered that. That's why I said in my first post it was probably a stupid move. Ah well, if only I had thought before I acted.

How is the boot priority set up in the BIOS? It needs to be CD-ROM first, then the HDD, then the Floppy drive.

At this point, I would try to boot to the XP cd and delete all the partitions on the drive...then see if XP will format the raw partitions and install properly.

The boot priority is CD first. But as I said, I can't get into the menu to make any choices such as deleting partitions and whatnot. It goes into the setup program, loads up all the needed drivers etc., which takes a few mins. Then, just as it's done, and the menu loads, it shuts down! Just like that, out of nowhere. Gone.

Any other ideas?

Edited by bigdave, 18 February 2007 - 09:19 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot to the Win98 startup diskette. When you see the startup options, press Shift + F5 to get a command prompt. At the command prompt (A:\), type fdisk and press Enter. Use fdisk to delete the partitions, then remove the floppy diskette, boot back to the XP cd, and see if it will format and install.

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Boot to the Win98 startup diskette. When you see the startup options, press Shift + F5 to get a command prompt. At the command prompt (A:\), type fdisk and press Enter. Use fdisk to delete the partitions, then remove the floppy diskette, boot back to the XP cd, and see if it will format and install.

I'll give that a go. However, I don't use a Startup Diskette. The laptop hasn't a floppy drive. I'll use my 98SE CD and boot from that.

I'll be back in 15-10 mins to let you know how it went. Fingers crossed!

Thanks.

Edited by bigdave, 18 February 2007 - 09:38 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Think you're going to need a floppy drive to access fdisk. :whistling:

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
*sigh*

I did just as you told me. I removed the C partition. There aren't any others only C, so that's the whole HDD taken care of.

Then, I booted into XP's Setup and it was looking good. The menu appeared, I hit enter. Then I hit F8 to agree to MS's T&C's. It was at that point, when showing the partition information and drive choices it shutdown. I'm trying it again now. It's quite odd though...

Think you're going to need a floppy drive to access fdisk. :whistling:

Nope. It's on the A drive when you boot from the Win98 SE CD.

EDIT: Second time was also a failure. I left it go, and without hitting any keys, it shutdown. This could have happened at the loading of the menu or once the menu had loaded. Could the MBR be at fault? If so, getting into the Recovery Console will be a problem.

Edited by bigdave, 18 February 2007 - 09:40 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Getting into recovery console without a defined partition will be a problem. You may have to order the recovery cd's from Compaq to get this one back up and running.

That said, have you set the BIOS defaults? How about heat...could that be an issue? I'm assuming not as you were able to install 98, but one never knows.

Do you have access to an XP cd of the same flavor (home or pro) that was installed on the lappy? This does not have to be a compaq cd...a retail version would be ideal.

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Getting into recovery console without a defined partition will be a problem. You may have to order the recovery cd's from Compaq to get this one back up and running.

That said, have you set the BIOS defaults? How about heat...could that be an issue? I'm assuming not as you were able to install 98, but one never knows.

Do you have access to an XP cd of the same flavor (home or pro) that was installed on the lappy? This does not have to be a compaq cd...a retail version would be ideal.

BIOS was set to default. The person who owns it wouldn't even know what a BIOS is.

I have 3 copies of XP. All different. All 3 failed.

Well, maybe you're right. I might need to ask my buddy to root out his Compaq CD's. I hope he has them.

But, however, in the meantime; anymore suggestions?

Wannabe1, thank you for your time and help. I appreciate it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In most Compaq BIOS versions, there is a HDD Diagnostic routine...you might see if that is available in the version installed on that machine and run it to verify the hard drive's viability. Other than that, I'm out of ideas other than to use the recovery set provided by Compaq.