Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Netscape Browser 8.1.2 keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

Noah121

Noah121

• Pip
  • 3 posts
These last few days, I have had a lot of problems with my Netscape Browser 8.1.2. It occasionally freezes when I check my Netscape e-mail, which I am careful about, but this weekend, it has frozen on the homepage. My Internet Explorer is working just fine, though. What might be wrong?

Sometimes, I was able to navigate to any other page, but then the browser would freeze (and my computer's Task Manager would show 100% CPU usage and would say "Netscape Browser--Not responding").

Advertisements

Sneakers356

Sneakers356

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am currently having a similar problem with Netscape. It seems to work fine for a few minutes and then it freezes. If you look at the task manager it will probably show 100% cpu usage on Netscape.exe . Mine is doing that for about one minute and then going to very low usage for about one minute. Then it goes to 100% usage for a minute and then to low cpu usage. It keeps swinging back and forth which is very annoying. My way around this was to start using IE. I haven't had any problems as of yet using IE. I went to www.ufaq.org and posted about the high cpu usage when using Netscape and the reply was that they are working on it. I also have posted on www.cybertechhelp.com which is another very helpful forum. It seems like a virus, trojan, malware, or whatever has taken over the Netscape browser and is causing high cpu usage. I don't have a solution to the problem but I'm sure someone will come up with one.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If you suspect malware, please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

Since you've contacted Netscape and they say they're working on it, you might want to wait it out. Or, since 8.1.2 is a standalone installation, you could trying uninstalling/reinstalling it.

You might also want to run SFC (System File Checker). It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

anita1973

anita1973

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'm having about the same problem with Netscape 8.1. I started having problems with Netscape 7 about a week ago so thought I'd just install Netscape 8.1. It worked fine for a couple days and then started "sticking." I'm using IE now but would like to go back to Netscape if they get the problem fixed. Guess I'll just wait and see what Netscape comes up with? :whistling: