Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost CDRW and DVD drives

• Please log in to reply

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
The name of it is Registry Cleaner. I got it at pcpitstop.com along with Advanced System Optimizer. Never again will i use anything like that. Someone told me that we really don;t need any of that stuff anyway, is that true?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Mostly yes

Some programmes won't install if they detect any reference to another programme of the same type, but it doesn't happen too often

If you click start then run, type regedit then press enter to open the registry editor, click file, click export, check the dot is in all for export range, name the file and save it to a safe location, you will have a back up of the registry

If anything went wrong, you would double click the saved back up, click yes to run it, and it would replace / restore the registry

A reasonable safeguard is to create a system restore point before installing anything, then if the PC does not get on with it, you can simply put things back as they were

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks for the information. Now that I have my drives back I am going to do a back up for sure. I am also going to try and do what you wrote tonight or tomorrow. Just in case. I won't be messing with anything any time soon though. I learn't my lesson for a while. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
At least it went wrong memorably enough to put anyone off wanting to go there again

Having Dell remote assistance is handy

Hope it goes well now

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
lol, yes Keith you are right, I never want to go there again. I sure love the Dell Connect, makes it much more easier than trying to understand techs with accents. Things I have learned from this 3 day experience, never ever use a Registry Cleaner, I think that is what caused it, I can now install drive cables with ease, :help: I can also install a extra hard drive with ease, :whistling: I know how to go to set up and load defaults, I know how to go to device manager and checks drives, etc, and a few more fix tricks. And thanks to you and this forum I can trouble shoot many problems. Thank you again so very much!! Have a great day! :blink: