Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

code 10 on avance AC97 audio

• Please log in to reply

ronners

ronners

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi there I recently installed a new PSU in my computer and now the on-board sound will not work. Windows media playey says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly. Then when I checked the device manager I get "This device cannot start.(Code 10)".The problem lies in the avance AC97 audio. PLease help me with this problem. Please help me, Thank you.

E-machine 370
pro: celeron 1.8
mem: 512mb
hd: 60gig
gcard: geforce fx5200
onboard scard: foxcomm avance ac97 audio?
o/s: windows xp home

ronners

Edited by ronners, 19 February 2007 - 01:11 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you got a motherboard CD, look on that for the soundcard software and re-install it

ronners

ronners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

If you got a motherboard CD, look on that for the soundcard software and re-install it

thank you for your help. I have uninstall the hardware and let the wizard find it and it did not work still code 10, I have also reinstalled windows xp and it did not fix it. is it possible that when my power supply unit went it took out the built in sound card?. When the wizard finds the hardware it also says that a problem occured, l checked the device manager and the properties of AVANCE AC97 AUDIO and the location: PCI bus 0, device 31, function 5 and
This device cannot start.(Code 10)".The problem lies in the avance AC97 audio

rooners

Edited by ronners, 19 February 2007 - 03:55 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you use device manager to uninstall / remove a device then reboot the PC, Windows will find it, however, it won't install the drivers, which is a reason for error code 10

Right click the device and click update driver, you could get a result with that, if not, the drivers will be on the motherboard CD, if you do not have the CD then you will need to download and install the soundcard software

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for multimedia / audio adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

ronners

ronners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

If you use device manager to uninstall / remove a device then reboot the PC, Windows will find it, however, it won't install the drivers, which is a reason for error code 10

Right click the device and click update driver, you could get a result with that, if not, the drivers will be on the motherboard CD, if you do not have the CD then you will need to download and install the soundcard software

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for multimedia / audio adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

I have tried all the above with the same ERROR CODE 10 , i dont have the motherboard CD and was unable to find the driver. thank you

computer :E-machine 370
The mobo is :Trigem Imperial-GL
the drivers are :Intel 82801dbich4 - AC97

I am thinking of replacing the on-board sound card with a PCI sound card, Hopefully this should cure the problem?. Do you think it is possible it could be that the on-board sound card was damaged when the PSU went.

Edited by ronners, 20 February 2007 - 02:21 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a link for the AC97 drivers you installed

A good third party soundcard will provide better quality

I would double check the AC97 drivers

Did you look at the trigem site for drivers

ronners

ronners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I downloaded 2 lots of drivers from the trigem site and they did not work, still the error CODE10.
l think the new sound card looks a good bet.

ronners

ronners

ronners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I downloaded 2 lots of drivers from the trigem site and they did not work, still the error CODE10.
l think the new sound card looks a good bet.

ronners

I have by chance found the drivers for the on-board sound card, at driverguide.com. they have got my sound card up and running ,thank you.
The only thing l have to do is try and sort out the volume as the media player runs now ,but there is no sound on the computer. I have been to the SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES and to the VOLUME TAB, the DEVICE VOLUME is set to LOW VOLUME, nothing on tab is active, so l can not put the volume up.

ronners

Edited by ronners, 21 February 2007 - 03:21 AM.