Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hardive Reright?

• Please log in to reply

ZakRhino

ZakRhino

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again all. I just got the data off my external hard drive and was not trying to see how do you rewrite it so that it is an PC drive now and not an mac formated drive anymore.

Edited by ZakRhino, 19 February 2007 - 12:16 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....with it connected to your computer...right click on my computer > choose manage > choose disk management

then locate the drive on the right side and right click it > choose format...then format it how you like...with XP i'd suggest going NTFS and not the quick format method

ZakRhino

ZakRhino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

well....with it connected to your computer...right click on my computer > choose manage > choose disk management

then locate the drive on the right side and right click it > choose format...then format it how you like...with XP i'd suggest going NTFS and not the quick format method

Why NTFS what does that format mean?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
NTFS is New Technology File System...and allows for encryption and higher security...as well as long file names...it will work as fat32 if you choose to go that route...however you wanna do it is fine...google NTFS and FAT32 for more info