Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 and User Agent String Utility

• Please log in to reply

ppalmer10

ppalmer10

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have upgraded to IE7 (not so much because I wanted to, but because several sites I depend on had to have it). Since the installation, the browser seems to run slower (which isn't really my issue, just throwing that in in case someone has any advice there). I came across another site (a bank maybe?) that couldn't "play" with IE7. So I installed User Agent String Utility which is supposed to fool the site into thinking it is dealing with IE6. But now my title bar reads "Windows Internet Explorer emulating version 6.0" Shouldn't I be able to turn this utility on and off? If so, I must have been out sick that day because I don't know how. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
from my understanding...you don't turn the user agent on and off...you actually execute a different "shortcut" which makes the modifications to IE for that onetime session...i've got to do this to log into my firewall at work..i just double click on the user agent thing on my desktop and there you go...

ppalmer10

ppalmer10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm still doing something wrong. I double-clicked on the shortcut on my desktop that is the user agent expecting it to reverse itself and give me IE7 again. That didn't work. I still had the emulated IE6. Or do I need two shortcuts on my desktop - one for the user agent and one for the normal IE7?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah....ok when you double click that shortcut...it runs IE7 with certain switches etc...the changes that are made are only active as long as that instance is open...as soon as you close it...the changes rever...then to use IE7 as normal...just open IE the normal way...i.e. by clicking the quicklaunch putton for ie or whatever you do..YOU don't have to turn anything off

ppalmer10

ppalmer10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry, starting to feel like a pain now. I have double-clicked the user agent and I get emulated IE6. I have double clicked on my usual IE shortcut...and I get emulated IE6. My normal shortcut is in the Quick Launch of my task bar. Properties are Target ("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe") and the Start In is %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%. The Properties on the user agent are Target (User Agent String Utility) grayed out and the Start In is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft User Agent String Utility\". Any ideas? (thank you so much for your help)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
AH...now i see what you mean....i have not seen this happen...as like i said...my process seems to be completely different than what's happening for you... have you tried uninstalling the user string agent?

ppalmer10

ppalmer10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I uninstalled the user string agent. Actually here is what I have done. Uninstall Agent. Run Registry Mechanic. Reboot. Open IE and the title bar still says it is emulating version 6.0. I went to the Microsoft site and poked around for a fix. While I was there I downloaded Security Update for Windows IE7 (2/13/07 date). I also downloaded Update for IE7 for Win XP (12/12/06 date)(that one was to fix a problem with the phishing filter. I downloaded it because IE is running like molasses). I rebooted. Still says its emulating 6. I'm wondering if it actually IS emulating, or is the text just stuck somehow (in the Registry?). I don't know how to tell if I'm running as 6 or 7. At this point, my frustration level is so high, I'm not sure if I care if I'm running 6 or 7. I'm a tax preparer, I'm busier than a one-armed paper-hanger and I just don't have time to mess with this. I wouldn't bother with it, except, as I said, the internet (whatever version I'm running) is REALLY slow. Think I'll go over to PCPitstop and see if it really is as slow as it seems to be. Any new insights would be extremely appreciated.

ppalmer10

ppalmer10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well, I guess I'm just being impatient. My download speed was 4864 kb in 6.578 seconds. Not too bad. Still not sure about the version 6 vs. 7 thing though. It isn't a problem until I hit a site that doesn't like whatever I'm running.