Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with graphics card possibly

• Please log in to reply

TotallySerious

TotallySerious

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys!

i bought a radeon 9800 pro for my comp ages ago but ive only started having problems recently... as this was the last upgrade im guessing its the problem? but im quite ignorant to the fact of anything else wrong... but heres what happens!

im playing TRS2004 (Trainz Railroad simulator) this is the only high end game i play on my system so i dont know if its anything related to the software... but i do know there are some issues with ATI and TRS2004 ;)

As i play TRS2004 for about 20 minutes the CPU will climb to a temperature of about 55-57oC (AMD Athlon 2500+ XP Barton (Not overclocked))
after 20 mins (roughly) the computer will shut off completely... not going back to desktop and shutting down but just switching off.... i have tryed many things to help the cause such as:

Reinstall windows (totally wiping the HDD) and applying XP + SP2
Added new fans (3 8cm + an exhaust)
changed graphics settings many of times!

i just dont know whats wrong.... is my 9800 not playing anymore? or could it be something else? this only happens when i run this game..

a few other details...

CPU core V = 1.744 and is stable
Mainboard temp = 30-35oc
cpu temp at bootup roughly 33oc and whilst running the game it climbs to 56oC'ish

I do not suspect that its overheating.... but i do not know what temp my graphics card is running at. any help and u will make me a happy chappy! :tazz:

Many thanks Nick

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go Nick! :tazz:

Sure sounds like your CPU is overheating. Even though temp diodes aren't very accurate, 57C is very warm. I'd suggest you try a better CPU cooler, one with a copper core.

An alternative may be to just try some better thermal paste. The phase change thermal pad that comes with a heatsink is good for longevity, but not the most efficient for cooling.

Remove the Heatsink/fan. Carefully remove the thermal pad with a razor blade (don't scratch the surface). Clean the heat sink and CPU with rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth. Finally, apply a VERY thin layer of quality thermal compound (like Arctic Silver). Reassemble.

TotallySerious

TotallySerious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I dont think the problem is the CPU, as this is the temperature its been running at since i purchased it a year ago? but could u sugest any programs i could use to monitor the temperature on the graphics card?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Newer ATI cards have temperature diodes to monitor the core and memory temps, but the 9800 does not.

I doubt it's the memory, because you would first see visual artifacts and screen errors. If the core were overheating, it would cause the symptoms you describe. I don't know how you would test it, except maybe to "under-clock" the video card, and see if it still does it.

If under-clocked the system no longer reboots, then you've identified the card as the problem. If it's still under warranty, do an RMA, if not, you could try removing the heat-sink, and replacing it with a better one, or reapplying some quality heat-sink compound.