Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupted Recycle Bin

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

We've just replaced an older PC at work with a newer one. When we log in as the user, we have problems with the recycle bin. When you try to delete an object, you receive the message "The Recycle Bin On C:\ Is Corrupt. Would You Like To Empty The Recycle Bin?". The file never makes it to the recycle bin. When you open it, it appears empty. It is only corrupted on this one account.

Do any of you know a fix for this. I am unable to even find where the Recycle Bin is stored on the HD.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi.

Here are two links that should help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297760
http://www.windowsit...5186/15186.html

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I had already seen the pages you sent links too. What I did find just moments ago, however, was this inforamtion:

Files in the recycle bin are stored in C:\RECYCLED on FAT filesystems or in the C:\RECYCLER folder of the disk the file was deleted from on NTFS filesystems in Windows XP, the Recycle Bin is located on the C:\$Recycle.Bin folder on a Windows Vista system.

Now that I know the location, I'll try some other stuff. I found another site earlier this morning that gave a DOS command to fix this problem. The catch was that he didn't provide the path to the recycle bin to run the fix. He only stated to get into that directory before running the command.

Now I'll have to try finding that page again. Hopefully it's still in my history.

When I get something done, I'll let you all know what I did.

Thanks,

Brian

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
The Windows IT Pro article includes a DOS command to remove attribute then delete the contents of the Recycler folder. Is that what you need?

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I've fixed the problem.

In Windows Explorer, I was unable to find the Recycler Folder even after revealing hidden files and folders. I assumed the folder didn't exist which would be causing the program so tried creating a new folder with that name. XP Barked back stating that there was already a folder call "Recycler". Since I couldn't get there from Explorer, I went there from DOS. Once indside the Recycler folder, I just deleted everything inside. When I rebooted the computer, XP rebuilt what it needed. The Recycle Bin works fine now.

Thanks for your help.

magus

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Thanks for posting the solution :whistling: