Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big Problem Upgrading to Vista Ultimate

• Please log in to reply

battousaiken

battousaiken

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently got a PC with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. I bought the online upgrade to Vista Ultimate and tried to install it, but it failed. While installing, during the compatibility test, I received a message saying that "These issues do not prevent your upgrade, but some applications and/or devices might not work once your upgrade completes.
Storage controllers: SCSI/RAID Host Controller"

Later, after the install seemed to have finished, Vista reverted to Home Premium and I got this message:

"Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem report summary

Problem type
Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?
No

What does this problem mean?
Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause
Unknown

Computer symptoms
A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take
Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible"

I really don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
battousaiken:

was there any piece of hardware that was recently added to your machine? I had this error happen to me when I had a CARD READER for a camera I had. when I attached the piece of hardware to the machine and rebooted, it would give me a similar error - Of course, it was a 2000 Pro Machine, but it sounds like a piece of hardware is causing the problem. When I removed the offending card reader, 2000 Pro did not BSOD with a stop error.

If you can, I would try to remove the offending hardware and try a reboot again - however, it is likely that your "Storage controllers: SCSI/RAID Host Controller" may not be compatable with Vista, and are causing the error described. Maybe one of our other Geeks has an answer for you.

Good Luck!!

Brian

battousaiken

battousaiken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

battousaiken:

was there any piece of hardware that was recently added to your machine? I had this error happen to me when I had a CARD READER for a camera I had. when I attached the piece of hardware to the machine and rebooted, it would give me a similar error - Of course, it was a 2000 Pro Machine, but it sounds like a piece of hardware is causing the problem. When I removed the offending card reader, 2000 Pro did not BSOD with a stop error.

If you can, I would try to remove the offending hardware and try a reboot again - however, it is likely that your "Storage controllers: SCSI/RAID Host Controller" may not be compatable with Vista, and are causing the error described. Maybe one of our other Geeks has an answer for you.

Good Luck!!

Brian

Thanks for the reply Brian. I assumed it was the same thing you said, since I had installed an extra hard drive and disc drive that I had been using in my old computer. However, I uninstalled those components, restored my system to the point where I had purchased it, tried the upgrade, and still got the same error. Keep in mind that this is a brand new PC, and when I restored it, it was as if nothing had been installed in it (at least that's what I assume), so I really don't know what's causing this.

Edited by battousaiken, 24 February 2007 - 04:13 PM.