Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp

• Please log in to reply

dward417

dward417

• Pip
  • 5 posts
my son moved the computer to another location and when we turned it back it says...windows file was either lost or corrupted...states press "r" to repair or use original cd rom....something like that. Please help...I need my computer

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Can you be more descriptive please?

dward417

dward417

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well i cannot get to windows at all....when I press "r" for repair it only shuts my computer...then i turn it back on and it takes me back to the same message....it also has a win file in parathesis saying its is corrupted.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First thing I would do in that case is open the case and make sure all the cables to the drives are well seated in their sockets.

Edited by Tyger, 19 February 2007 - 05:33 PM.

dward417

dward417

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i hate to sound dumb but what do you mean by case...do you mean open the harddrive?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The case of the computer, usually held on by thumb screws or philips screws. Only one side usually needs to be taken off, but on older machines the whole outer cover may need to be removed.

hafizik

hafizik

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hello there...hmm,did u have your xp setup cd?? if yes then use that cd to repair ur windows.
boot the cd and just follow the instruction given until u see the 'repair' option.select it and it will automatically fix
the corrupted file inside ur windows folder.
gd luck!

dward417

dward417

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
does it have to be the original cd?

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Yes, and what Tyger was meaning is taking the side off of your tower. There are usually like 4 screws that hold it on.

dward417

dward417

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i just wanted to thank you guys for all your help! I took my windows through the recovery console..I am now up and running....you guys helped me save some money....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting the result