Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java - Exit Stand-Alone Application?

• Please log in to reply

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hello, having a slight problem with my Java project.

I've got an ActionCommand if statement, the first part of the loop which 'listens' for the action command of the 'Start Game' button. There are two buttons on the first panel, Start Game and Quit. The Start Game button works as expected and takes you to the second panel, which contains a Quit button - which works as expected(ie.the application closes). However, the quit button on the first panel doesn't seem to work. This is the same piece of code I've got in both panels for both buttons.

If (e.getsource=("quit")) {

System.exit(0);

}

Is this the correct way to 'exit' from a stand-alone program?

Now that I've pretty much got the program working,with the exception of the Quit button, I wondered if it's possible to save the program(I use JCreator) so that the file becomes an executable file. Just like in Visual Basic when you save the file as an Application and you can just locate the file on your hard drive, double click it and it will run, without having to open any other programs - is there any easy way to do this with Java?

If you can help me, thanks :whistling:

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
are you still having a problem?

observation #1:

If (e.getsource=("quit")) {

should be:

If (e.getsource==("quit")) {

if you are still having problems, send more code

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
In a word, no. I eventually got the Exit button working. Then, a couple of days later, I lost my memory stick - my entire project down the drain. I was planning to back up all my hard drives and memory sticks to my new hard drive when it arrived, but I lost the memory stick the day before the new hard drive arrived - and I've got no backups of any of my work. Gutted. Thanks for your help anyway:)

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
glad to hear you got it working.

it's ok to backup often.

too late for the advice.

good luck in the future.

hang in with java - it's the best

swordofdestiny

swordofdestiny

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
yeah, Java's fun and thanks to the AP test I have 3 free elective credits at utd (when I go there)