Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I have 2 existing EIDE HD's. I just bought a SATA HD. Can SATA HD

• Please log in to reply

jus2sho

jus2sho

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have 2 existing EIDE HD's. I just bought a SATA HD. How do I use the new SATA HD as my master boot HD and the old EIDE HDs as my storage drives? I've already copied everything from my master EIDE HD to the new SATA HD and everything is plugged in. When I boot up the system, it is still booting from the old EIDE HD and the new SATA HD is being used as storage in drive G:. Is there something else that I need to change in BIOS or do I have to configure the jumpers differently? Please help! My current OS is XP and the motherboard is a Soyo Dragon Plus 2 (sy-p4i865pe). TIA

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I believe that your OS would have had to actually been installed on the new harddrive.

Do you still have your windows disc?

Edited by Titan8990, 19 February 2007 - 06:27 PM.

jus2sho

jus2sho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I would have to look for the disk. I shouldn't need to reinstall XP if I completely cloned the original master HD to the new SATA HD. What I did was unhooked the EIDE HDs and just ran the SATA HD and everything is fine. The problem is when I have all three drives hooked up (One primary and one secondary on the IDE cable and one SATA) that the system gets screwed up and boots the primary EIDE HD instead of the SATA HD. I went into BIOS and enabled all IDE/SATA ports. When I go to change the order of what boots first, BIOS doesn't let me choose just SATA or IDE. It only allows me to choose SATA and IDE together instead of seperate.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Just a suggestion it could/could not work but maybe try to set the old EIDE hard drives to the cable select option and let the BIOS choose which one im not sure about this because i havent had much experiance with SATA drives but u might try it it could work???

and did you install the SATA drivers from the motherboard CD??? sounds like i stupid question but its worth asking

troppo