Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting to office network

• Please log in to reply

outatime88

outatime88

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Today I setup a network at work. Then my boss asked me if he could access the network from home. I figure that you can. I just don't know how. I have heard of vpn but really don't know anything about it. Is it software I have to download? Basically we just want to be able to add our computers at home to the network at the office. Any help would be great. thanks.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Bone up on security before you attempt this otherwise you will be putting not only the office computers at risk but all the home computers.

Also, you better have a good connection via the internet because VPN is not normally very speedy.

If you just need to access your computer then your better off using RDP and creating secure connections.

outatime88

outatime88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks. I think RDP will do the trick.

outatime88

outatime88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I've actually tried to go ahead with the vpn. But I don't think I've been successful. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm trying to connect from home to the office. Which IP address do I need to put in. I have information on the vpn server at the office. I have the WAN local address, the LAN IP address, and the peer address. Which one do I need to put in to connect? I've tried all of them and I get an error 800. As you can see I'm lost. any help would be great. thanks

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
You could give Ultra VNC a look. It has some nice features and is designed with security in mind. If you like it please donate to the project.