Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card ?

• Please log in to reply

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I run a nividia 6800 gs evga video card. Sure seems like people go so crazy about video cards. I am a big gamer and have about 50 games installed on my computer like call of duty2, to flatout 2. The 6800gs seems to play every game I have realy well. Is the clock speed on a 7300 card faster? Is the 7300 or the 7600 that much better that I should upgrade to one of those cards They sure are cheap now lol. A year ago I payed 300 bucks for the 6800 gs card. Seems like the cards come out so fast that the game's have not caught up with the cards yet. : :whistling: :blink: :help:

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I dont exactly know the specs on the cards but i am sure that your 6800 gs is better than a low end geforce 7. Entry level geforce cards (x100-x500) are not designed for games but your 6800 was. Your 6800 should be able to atleast run any game available now.

If you dont think games are keeping up with graphics cards try running Quake 4 on ultra graphics or Dark Missiah of Might and Magic.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
The 7600 may be better, it's a bit of a coin toss. Hold out for a 7900 or higher.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I use a 7600GT, a very very cheap £50 one from ebay. It's until I get an R600. However I'm suprised by it, it's very fast and plays the newest games on medium / low detail with ease.

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
another option would be sli. with the new technologies coming out, your card should support sli mode, hopefully your mobo does too. If so, I'd go down that road before bumping up to the high end 7000 series (previous recommendation was 7900+...I find that the GPU is more stable on the 7800 series, but that's just me)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

another option would be sli. with the new technologies coming out, your card should support sli mode, hopefully your mobo does too. If so, I'd go down that road before bumping up to the high end 7000 series (previous recommendation was 7900+...I find that the GPU is more stable on the 7800 series, but that's just me)

eek... buying another 6800 will give you no where near the same increase as upgrading to a 7800 or 7900. SLI really only gives 5% to 15% increase on games that support it. Definitely not a good deal for the money.