Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting New DELL Specs good?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
I think I am going to get a new dell, I will have the specs below any suggestions or comments would be great thanks,

Also, I was wondering if I could use Microsoft office 2003 CD with MSWORD, Excel, Powerpoint... with windows Vista

Will this be able to play games like Microsoft Flight Simulator X and such

COMPLETLY CHANGED NEED MORE ADVICE

OPERATING SYSTEM FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/1GB memory

MEMORY 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs

HARD DRIVE 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

OPTICAL DRIVE 16x DVD+/-RW Drive

MONITOR SEE BOTTOM

VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA Geforce 7300LE TurboCache

SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

My Accessories

SPEAKERS SEE BOTTOM

KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse

FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive Included

MODEM 56K PCI Data Fax Modem

My Software

PRODUCTIVITY No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD

ANTI-VIRUS & SECURITY No Security Subscription

PHOTOS, MUSIC & MORE! Trial pack- Basic and trial products from Corel and Yahoo

My Service

WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service

ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM

Mouse Mouse included in Wireless, Laser or Bluetooth Package
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service and Support
Labels Windows Vista™ Premium

Grand Total $699
shipping included

Budget is $700 but could go a little higher if it is really worth it.

I am going to get from NewEGG 17" Monitor

Speakers

More Suggestions?

Edited by MkLoe, 25 February 2007 - 05:41 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
My personal opinion here so caveat emptor.

Hmmm, pentium 2.8 dualcore? I thought Dell has the Core 2 Duo systems out now. If they do, buy one and don't even look back at the older systems.

Do not bother with a CD-RW/dvd combo and go for a DVD-RW. Unless Dell is ripping you off, the difference between a combo drive and a dvd-rw at NewEgg is only $6.

I do not like on-board video for any games. Make sure you have a PCI-E slot on the motherboard so you can upgrade to a good graphics card. You will be glad you did.

Onboard sound always leaves me feeling somethings missing. OH, it is missing the true Stereo sound if you ever hook a 5.1 system to on-board sound. Get a good Audigy card and a 5.1 system if you really like the surround sound that games can do.

Well now that you have completely replaced the computer what do you think? LOL

SRX660

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah that pc with integrated video will not play Microsoft Flight Simulator X. You need a good Video card to play that game even decent. Even the High end nvidia 8800's has alittle trouble with the Flight Sim games at full settings.

That pc isnt good for you needs he is right. Integrated is the worst you can get for Graphics. Dont waste your money they may make it seem like your getting a good deal but guess what you are not.. You would have to upgrade to a better video card for one thing. They are using the older Pentium 4 dual core chips which are trash. The newer Intel Core 2 DUO is great though. The memory they are using is the slowest speed of DDR2.

That just isnt what you are looking for.. Especially to play Flight Simulator X... It wont even run the game LOL. The graphics is the reason but Dell has a history for not supplying a pci express slot for video card upgradability on the lower end systems, so basically you are screwed. It would be a decent pc if it had pci express and a 7600gt or equivalent so to speak..

Keep looking for a pc that has atleast a Pci express 16 X slot with a core 2 duo processor.. The amd am2 processors are good aswell but core 2 duo is better.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its good for the price but i dont think it will do the job either, i think you will struggle to get anything that will from dell. What kind of price range are you looking at and is there anything there(monitor, speakers etc.) that you dont need because you allready have.

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
No I basicly want the works with Monitor, keyboard, speakers, mouse... I do not need a printer and I already got router and stuff so I actually just need a Monitor, keyboard, speakers and a mouse

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

No I basicly want the works with Monitor, keyboard, speakers, mouse... I do not need a printer and I already got router and stuff so I actually just need a Monitor, keyboard, speakers and a mouse

What is your budget???

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
About 700 and lower can go up to 750 if really worth it.

Also where would be a good place if I was to build a computer myself and make sure everything was compatiable with eachother like volts and hertz and stuff

Edited by MkLoe, 20 February 2007 - 08:51 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

About 700 and lower can go up to 750 if really worth it.

Also where would be a good place if I was to build a computer myself and make sure everything was compatiable with eachother like volts and hertz and stuff

I dont know exactly what you are talking about on the Volts and Hertz stuff.. You dont have to worry about the volts and hertz... Everything on a pc is plug and play. You find a compatible part that will work on the mobo then plug in the part. You dont have to worry about Volts and hertz the powersupply does all of that on its own. All you do is plug in the powersupply into the motherboard which today all the newer pc's will be a 24 pin connector. Then plug in all the rest of the parts and your ready to go. After that you will have to install windows or an operating system onto it. Just make sure you get a decent good quality power supply that will LAST. Dont get a cheapo power supply if you build it yourself.

If you want to make sure all of the parts are compatible if you want to build a pc just Post all of the Items in a topic and we can help you out.

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
where is a good place to shop for and buy parts. I know of new egg but i'd like to know if there are anymore

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
newegg = best

some others:

zipzoomfly
tigerdirect

Advertisements

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
I know nothing about building a computer, is there a place where I select everything I want and they build it for me and dont overcharge me?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
dont overcharge? no. least overcharge? probably cyberpowerpc.com.

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
I am looking there now what do you think would be one of the best deals for me. Little Gaming but multi task. Dont need monitor I guess. which processor beter Intel or AMD

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I am looking there now what do you think would be one of the best deals for me. Little Gaming but multi task. Dont need monitor I guess. which processor beter Intel or AMD

For a budget of $700 or up to $750 if its worth it you said. You wont be able to get a core 2 duo Intel with the goodies. You could get a core 2 duo yes but it would only have 512mb ram, cheapo standard power supply and a low end video card...

Your best bet for your budget is to look towards AMD.

You need to get a upgraded power supply, atleast 1gb of ram, and possibly a little upgraded video card from the default. Remember you need to try and get a decent video card to play the game Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

By the way make sure you pick out an operating system unless you already have one.

Edited by jrm20, 21 February 2007 - 06:20 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I strongly doubt you will be able to (satisfactorily) play FSX on a $700 computer. You need at least 2GB of RAM and a mid-highend graphics card. My p4 3.0ghz 1gb RAM GeForce 6600 computer could not play it on the lowest settings. Well, it could, but it got about 5-15 FPS. I have no idea where they got their minimum requirements...

Edited by stettybet0, 22 February 2007 - 03:01 PM.