Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant install XP on new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

dgraham225

dgraham225

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi guys, need a little help. i just built this computer from scratch, everything is brand new...i have it all up, the hard drive formatted with the maxtor disk, and the BIOS set to boot CD first...so i pop the XP disc in, it starts doing all the initial loading and after it gets through loading everything, on the bottom of the blue screen, it says starting windows just like normal and then it restarts itself..... i am totally lost on this, it will start running the windows disc and as soon as it starts to load windows so i can start the installation, it restarts immediately...any ideas?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Although it's a new build, bad RAM is one possible cause for this.
If more than one stick of RAM is installed, try each one on it's own.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Do you mean DURING the windows XP installation or WHEN the CD is loading? Or the installation finished but windows wont boot? I agree with pip22 RAM can be an issue

-OCM770-

dgraham225

dgraham225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well, i went out following the advice of the guy at the local computer shop and bought a brand new disc, which ended up being VISTA, and a brand new DVD-ROM drive.....so now i put the disc in, with CDROM (the new DVD-ROM) drive as the 1st boot.

so now when i turn the computer on, it starts the blinking cursor and comes up "press any key to start CD or DVD" and when i hit a key, it just restarts....over and over again on every try...

dgraham225

dgraham225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
oh btw, there is more than one stick of ram and like you said, i tried both by themselves and also in different spots...

dgraham225

dgraham225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
update: i just even went as far as to REPLACE the motherboard, returned it and got a new one....still SAME thing. the only thing left that i suspect is maybe the little converter--from the serial ATA on the motherboard to the usual IDE for the DVD-ROM...the DVD-ROM is new, memory is new, motherboard is new, CPU is new, power supply is new, and all has been checked out....