Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build A Computer

• Please log in to reply

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
To whom can help me:
Hi I'm currently trying to put together a PC and there are some certain things I need. First of all I have a $1,200 budget to spend on this computer. I know I need a PCI Express Motherboard w/ out an onboard video card, I need a decent one that I cant install. Those are pretty much my only concerns, but I need all of the following components:
*Motherboard
*CPU
*Heatsink and Cooling
*Memory
*Hard Disk Storage
*Optical Storage
*Video Card
*Sound Card
*Network Card
*Power Supply
*Case

If someone would be so kind to please help me out it would help me out so much, this site is great and I've had no problems yet so I believe in you guys.

If the responder could please list all the components essentially building the computer on paper it would help me to understand all the parts better. Thank you so much, PLEASE HELP ME!!

Edited by CONNECTICUT, 19 February 2007 - 08:51 PM.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Well first of all what are you using this computer for???

is it gaming with HD and max settings or medium/low settings
or basic programs such as internet and word proccessing???

this will help determine what sort of power you need from your system

troppo

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Either or to be honest, but I would probably do more basic functions as internet and word processing...thank you so much

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Well if thast the case you might be able to get an AMD system that is still up with teh technology but is cheaper than the new Intel Core 2 Duo's

have a look on www.newegg.com
for parts and then post them back here and we will run through them and provide you with advice

but for starters i would suggest:
1) at least an AMD 3800+ on an AM2 socket (do not purchase a 939 skt they are discontnued and are more expensive)
2) at least 1 gig of RAM to safe guard yourself for Vista and DX10
3) a hard drive with at least 250Gb's and for performance an 8Mb cache
4) a decent motherbaord with a PCI-X slot
5) at least a 400W PSU
6) and a good case

i can place together a basic list for you and u can see what you think but i would also suggest visiting tehsite i suggested and you can compare the two and we can make improvements so you can get the best system possable for your budget

hope that starts you in the right direction

troppo

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just thought i ought to throw this in tiger has a really good deal going on and this is probably worthy of a look.
http://www.tigerdire...u=A64-FX60-HOME
http://www.tigerdire...=A64-FX60-BASIC
your saving 100$ buying the two together. Depending on where your budget takes you home might be all you want, however if you like looks spend the extra 50$ on the first on.....if you want.
James

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
see thats my problem I'm looking for suggestions I don't really know to much about specs. I just need all the components I listed in my first thread post. this is for work and I was told I need all of those components and a PCI Express Motherboard that has no on board video. Possible you can list all the compatible peices for me? My main concern is the $1,200 budget and the PCI Express card...sorry for being so difficult. This would help a lot tho. Thanks again

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
thats ok im working on a list at the moment and will post back to you in a few minutes

troppo

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
thank you so much....im kinda computer illiterate so when you do post can you post the item name with what the peice is kinda like...

Example101 ----- Motherboard
Example102 ----- CPU

thank you so much!!!!

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok so here is a little list that i came up with see what you think and also do you need keyboards and mice and a screen???
becasue they arent included in the list

so here it is:

1) CPU--> AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5400CZBOX - Retail

2) Motherboard--> ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

3) RAM--> CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

4) HDD--> Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3250824AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

5) Video Card--> BFG Tech BFGR73256GTOCE GeForce 7300GT 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

6) DVD Drive--> LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner included extra White bezel, with 12X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model- Retail

7) Case--> Thermaltake VC3000BWS Black Chassis : 0.8mm SECC Front bezel : Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

8) PSU--> Thermaltake W0093RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 500W Power Supply - Retail

TOTAL: $ 947.95

now also teh motherboard comes with an onboard ethernet network card and onboard sound so there is no reason for purchasing these two items seperatly

so that comes in way under budget so if you wanted there are things we can upgrade a little or you can purchase a screen or what ever you want. if you need anything else explained dont hesitate to ask

i hope this helps

troppo

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
My boss told me that he wanted each peice seperately...so I need to find a sound card and network card. Does this mean I need a different motherboard?? Yea we also need a mouse,keyboard and monitor...but I thought I would be able to find those with no problems lol.

Also if we can upgrade any of these peices and stay under the budget I'm sure my boss would love me even more.

Thanks man

Edited by CONNECTICUT, 19 February 2007 - 10:19 PM.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Well most motherboards come with onboard ethernet and you can not run onboard ethernet with another network card so thats not possable and the onboard 8.1 channel sound ismore than what you will need for buisness applications and what not and spending money on a seperate video card is a waste of money unless you are gaming or listening to an expensive set of speakers/soundsystem

tell yuor boss its not worth it otherwise you will blow your budget if you include the soundcard with the screen and input devices

troppo

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would upgrade the video card to alittle faster. That mobo is okay I guess if you Liked ASUS stuff. I just dont personally like Asus but yeah they are great when they work. Id try to get a Abit, DFI, MSI or Gigabyte. The gigabytes are good for the price and performance you get out of them.

What is this pc for anyway???

Any video editing or what??

Edited by jrm20, 19 February 2007 - 10:23 PM.

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Multimedia....ranging from video,audio editing as well as graphic design.

So whats the final list look like with all of the parts I need look like?

You have been so much help

Edited by CONNECTICUT, 19 February 2007 - 10:38 PM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well if thats the case you should have told me in the first post

if your doing thoose things we will need to change a few things
it would have been easier if you would have told me in the first place

so anyway

replace the video card with this
JetWay X16XT-ED-256L Radeon X1650XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

and add in this sound card
Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail

that brings your total to $ 1,103.95 so that leaves virtually no room for a screen a keyboard or a mouse

troppo

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Im sorry...your running around for me and I feel bad. Lets say I keep the original video card. What would be a reasonable sound/network card to add? Im not even sure my boss is gonna build this computer. I think he first wants to make sure I understand the peices, so thats why I'm thinking he's given me this assignment. It does not need to be decked out with the best parts, just something that fits the budget.

Again I'm sorry, you've been a great help. Is there anyway I can spread reputation for you?