Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build A Computer

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
No Not really.

but as far as the network card goes if its just for an excersize then get this one...

NETGEAR FA311 10/100Mbps PCI Network Interface Card - Retail

its cheap and will do the job but as i said there is no need for it because there is an onboard ethernet controller that will do teh same if not a better job than the add-in card

troppo

Advertisements

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ok thanks....so this is the overview: (?)

1) CPU--> AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5400CZBOX - Retail

2) Motherboard--> ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

3) RAM--> CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

4) HDD--> Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3250824AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

5) Video Card--> BFG Tech BFGR73256GTOCE GeForce 7300GT 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

6) DVD Drive--> LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner included extra White bezel, with 12X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model- Retail

7) Case--> Thermaltake VC3000BWS Black Chassis : 0.8mm SECC Front bezel : Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

8) PSU--> Thermaltake W0093RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 500W Power Supply - Retail

9) Network Card--> NETGEAR FA311 10/100Mbps PCI Network Interface Card - Retail

10) Sound Card-->Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail

What about the heatsink/cooling?
You said this also left me no money to get a mointor,keyboard/mouse,OS system?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
there is no need to worry about an aftermarket heatsink because unless you are overclocking which i assume your not then there is no need for one the standard AMD heatsink will be sufficiant and also you didnt add in the updated video card

and waht i said about leaving you with no money for a screen or a mouse or a keyboard or the OS is true because $100 wont get you all of that

screen-->ViewSonic Value Series VA902b Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor - Retail
keyboard/mouse--> Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 Black RF Wireless Keyboard - Retail
OS--> windows XP home edition with a Vista upgrade coupon (which may be expired im not sure)

if you include a screen and all the rest the final build price will be
$ 1468.95

which is $268.95 over your budget and thast with a basic keyboard/mouse and a fairly cheap LCD screen and only XP

so as i was saying if you include the sound card and the network card your over budget

troppo

Edited by troppo, 19 February 2007 - 11:51 PM.

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
ok well thank u so much for ur help...appreciate it

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if your boss needs you to understand the parts reading the review sites and shops for a while would help a bit its all much easier when you know what you are doing, also since you need a monitor and peripherals that system would put you over budget.

Some things there dont need to be as fast or are as expensive, you dont need an SLI motherboard a cheap single PCI-E slot board is all you need one of the Abit or MSI boards they are half the price of the sli boards.

You dont need a seperate network card PCI ones are inferior to the onboard on any nforce motherboard as you would have two 100mbps ports instead of the two gigabit ethernet ports the board has(1000mbps a piece) if i was your boss that may be the trick for you to see if you did the research knew this and told him so instead of having someone else do it for you. The sound card may also be a bit OTT depending on how much audio editing you will do (what kind of company is this it seems unusal that they would do that kind of computer intensive work yet hire someone who isnt familiar with computers to me).

To save a bit more that CPU is fairly top of the range and way above the price limit where it becomes more practical to get an intel c2d AMD are good if you need a budget system but that isnt one of the budget CPUs. Get a slower one or think about going for the faster core 2 duo systems and at least get your moneys worth for going over budget.