Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 98 on a p4

• Please log in to reply

uuurg

uuurg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I put windows 98 on a Dell Dimension 4400 a good while back to play a ton of old games I got. Hacked together drivers and patches. It rocks. I can reboot and be back to desktop in like 15 seconds.
Works fine and runs 24/7, as a matter of fact, I have only froze up a rare occasion loading a new game.
But I have two motherboard components unidentified.
One, PCI System Management Bus, two, just plain unknown device.(has assigned memory range)

Any pointers?

Edited by uuurg, 19 February 2007 - 10:45 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows 98 isn't really designed to run on such a fast computer...

But here are all the drivers for it:
http://support.dell..../...=W98&osl=EN

uuurg

uuurg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Checking it out. Thanks. Would have never thought dell had backwards compatable drivers for an obsolete os.
Other than that, 98 runs fine, rarely freezes, unless you try loading a bunch of stuff at once. Probably has trouble managing the newer memory properly, would be my guess. Anotherwords, do one thing at a time.

It gets done --quick-- though.

Oh yeah-re using 98 on anything nowdays, definitely use firefox for fewer malware problems, and stick to 'trusted', established websites and multimedia sources. IE causes trouble, both stability and security-wise.

chipset drivers from dell worked, all components recognized properly, found newer firmware for mobo while I was at it.

Edited by uuurg, 21 February 2007 - 12:02 AM.