Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing/repair of XPPro on another partition...

• Please log in to reply

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have a laptop HD where I couldn't access my C (20Gb). The HD was divided in 2 partitions : C and D. So with the help of a PartMagic setup diskette I managed to free some 2Gb space on the D partition and created a third partition E behind the D. From my installation CD I installed with the help of my internal DVD-Rom player another OS XPPro on the E. From within my E partition I could access my C and managed to save all my data and exported that to an ext. drive.

Now I want to make a repair installation on my C (some 4kB of data was corrupt and I couldn't login). Only problem is my built-in DVD-Rom player suddenly can't read my installation CD any more; and my bios doesn't support USB. So I can't install the OS from boot directly on the C partition. When I put the installation CD however in an external DVD drive that I access from within my E there's no problem starting the XP setup installation. However can I overinstall (repair) my damaged C partition from within my E partition ? Will this work ? Which steps should I choose to make the repair on the C partition from within the active E partition ?

Advertisements