Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Firefox/Java

• Please log in to reply

fuzzyfot

fuzzyfot

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Peoples,

I have had this problem for a little while where clicking on a link does absolutely nothing.

I run Firefox and it is particularly noticeable on billpaying sites (eg banks/fin institutions). I go to select the 'log on' option, which on other PC's brings a pop up window to enter the details, but I get no such joy as to see the pop up windows and cannot log on. :blink:

I checked the error console on firefox and it said that it was Java related. I went through the whole process of uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling and have read some of the other topics relative to IE7, but this doesnt seem to help.

I also have an issue where when i try to start up firefox, if it is for example, the 4th time i have started it up since reinstalling it, the icon doesnt open the program. It sits there and does nothing. I then have to reinstall firefox, which then goes on to say something along the lines of 'all instances of firefox must be closed prior to installation' and i go through the installation process to open the browser.

I have - uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled both programs. I have run different malware programs, deleted history cookies temp files etc, defragged HD and now run out of ideas.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :whistling:

Thanks in advance...

Advertisements

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
which version of Java do you have?
what kind of add-ons do you have installed?

fuzzyfot

fuzzyfot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I downloaded and installed the most up to date Java version about 2 months ago.
Not sure what add ons are, which probably means i don have any - apologies for being a bit illiterate.
thanks for taking the time to help out.
cheers

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Your version of Java is outdated and needs to be updated to take advantage of fixes that have eliminated security vulnerabilities.
Updating Java:

* Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.0
* Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
* Click the "Download" button to the right.
* Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
* The page will refresh.
* Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language and save to your desktop.
* Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
* Clear Java Cache
To Clear the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) cache, do this:

* Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
* Double-click the Java icon.
-The Java Control Panel appears.
* Click "Settings" under Temporary Internet Files.
-The Temporary Files Settings dialog box appears.
* Click "Delete Files".
-The Delete Temporary Files dialog box appears.
-There are three options on this window to clear the cache.
o Delete Files
o View Applications
o View Applets
* Click "OK" on Delete Temporary Files window.
-Note: This deletes all the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the cache.
* Click "OK" on Temporary Files Settings window.
* Close the Java Control Panel.

You can also view these instructions along with screenshots here.

It is possible that Microsoft JVM is still present on your computer.Check this as following: Start -- Run and type cmd. In the blac window type jview and ENTER. If Microsft JVM is present you will get version notification. If not present you wil get an error.

Please do the following if Microsoft JVM is present:
Download this tool to remove Microsoft JVM from your PC: MSJVM Removal Tool
Save the file on your desktop doubleklick and allow it to store it into his own folder. Dobleklick unmsjvm.exe en follow these instructions.
Please also download this regfile: RemoveJVM.reg.
Store the regfile onto your desktop doubleklick and allow the changes in your registry.

* Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
* Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
- Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
o Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
* Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
* Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
* Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
* Then from your desktop double-click on jre-1_6_0_10-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

Addons you can see under extra than select add-ons you see what was installed.

fuzzyfot

fuzzyfot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Fozzie,

Thanks for that - i have done everything that you said but it hasnt worked unfortunately.

Are there extra steps after this?

Cheers

fuzzyfot

fuzzyfot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi There folks,
I have still not had any success on this front. Java is all updated, but i still can only open firefox about 3 times before it doesnt work anymore. Accessing the secure pages like banks doesnt work either.
Any ideas? I had some bad malware downloaded by a housemate a while back and you guys helped me clear it out. Its not entirely gone though, its still hanging out in the virus vault of Ewido though. Could this be causing the problem?
Sorry i didnt mention it earlier.
Cheers,
Fuzzyfot