Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File and Printer sharing woes

• Please log in to reply

ColeEdwards

ColeEdwards

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have been following spacecowboy 706 tutorial Space Cowboys link Pianoman16 (a few posts up from the bottom) has a reply that is similar to my issue. It's just not working and/or possibly I am doing something wrong.

i read and printed this post. I have tried numerous times. I can't get this to work. i am trying to share a printer on a XP computer (attached to) and a windows98. I can't get the XP to show that it even exists, so i havn't even gotten to the windows 98 computer. I have two connections, and i don't know why. i have "1394 connection" and a "Local Area Connections" they are both LAN or High Speed, they are both connected. One is a "1394 net adaptor" and the other one is "Intel(R0 Pro 100 VE Network Connection" I have a Cable Modem with a D-Link Router. i have run the network setup wizzard at leat 5 times. I have right clicked "share this folder/ printer" at leat 5 times. (it didn't work at first, I had to go and turn my "server service" on, it was set to never. I have gone to the "connections window" at least 10 times.

I am not sure i am doing the install "select network component" correctly. Network places shows my workgroup but not my computer or folder/ printer. I have rebooted 37 times. I can't see the other computers. Not sure what i need to do. PLEASE HELP

(on the network connections, is says click in the general tab to click install, but it was not mentioned what should be highlighted, and then when you click "add" what should be highlighted.)

PLEASE HELP, where do we even start troubleshooting?

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Hmmm...

Have you gone through this?

http://support.micro....com/kb/813936/

This link is for the beginning of the series of articles.

ColeEdwards

ColeEdwards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
As i go through the Microsoft tutorial, I am covering the same ground that I covered before, but I wanted to note this in case it meant something. When in the "Home network properties" window, the "internet protocal" "file and Printer Sharing TCP/IP" and "client for Microsoft networks" are all on the list. They are all checked. i clicked install on them just to try and do it again, but each time it asks for a disk. "Unable to find drivers for this device" I have inserted the Printer Disk and even found the drivers and selected all three of them, but it still says "cannot find media on this disk" Not sure if there was something to it. As I said, they are all visable and checked.

local_area_protection_policies.jpg

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Were both PC's on

Are they in the same workgroup

Does the firewall permit sharing

If you loaded the XP CD and selected perform additional tasks, install a home network, installed it, then chose the option to use the XP CD to install on the other PC, loaded the XP CD in the 98 PC, used the same options to install a home network, did it ask for the 98 CD at any point

ColeEdwards

ColeEdwards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, both PC's were on.

I have created a workgroup with the same name on both computers. If I look in neighborhood connections, I can only see the computer's files that I have selected for sharing on that computer, not the other.

I believe I have set up the firewall to permit sharing. I tried turning off both firewalls and still I could not do share. So even if the firewall is incorrect, it is still not our main problem.

If you loaded the XP CD and selected perform additional tasks, install a home network, installed it, then chose the option to use the XP CD to install on the other PC, loaded the XP CD in the 98 PC, used the same options to install a home network, did it ask for the 98 CD at any point

Whoaaaa horsy! I have never inserted the XP CD. My computer is Gateway and they send it out with a small backup drive and also tell you to make backup disks. I have never messed with it, thankfully, so I do not know how to extract the "XP CD" for example.

Per Spacecoyboys instructions Spacecowboys post under FILE AND PRINT SHARE SETUP #14 I did run the netsetup.cpl or Network Setup Wizard.

As I stated before, I can see the network of the 98 computer only on the 98 computer. I clicked the help button a lot and tried to use XP instructions from spacecowboy but that could very well be our problem. As a result, I never inserted the XP CD. It did ask for the Windows 98 Second edition.
That Network Setup Wizzard did ask if you wanted to make a networking disk. I tried to do that but it would only point to drive F, wich for me is the drive that is created when i attach an MP3 player. And it would not let me change it, and i don't know how to make the drive "go away" even though my MP3 player is not attached.

whatdayathink?
I appreciate all help!

Edited by ColeEdwards, 21 February 2007 - 10:28 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start, my network places on the XP PC, then click view workgroup computers and cannot see both PC's, I will ask a Trusted Tech who deals more with networking to look in on this

ColeEdwards

ColeEdwards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
no, that is the problem. I can't see the other pc from either pc.

THANK YOU!

ColeEdwards

ColeEdwards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Both internet connections work and This is what my router looks like. (the last IP address where the cursur is are usually there)

I can see both networks, i just can't get from one to the other. On either computer i can't see the other networks computer.

Attached Thumbnails

• d_link_Router.jpg

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have asked someone to look at this

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
quote] I can see the network of the 98 computer only on the 98 computer.[/quote]

If I read this right you are trying to network a windows 98 with XP and you can't get 98 to see XP .
It's hard to do and often it will work for a while and then just quit but you might be able to get it to work.

Does your Gateway have a floppy drive?
Did you create a Setup floppy for the 98 PC with Network Set Up Wizard in XP?
Is the 98 PC set as a Network server? (Right click on My Computer, select Properties. Click the performance then click file system and under setting in the drop down you should see Network Server/ apply /OK.)
When it asked for the 98 CD did you insert it and install the Protocols?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
One more thoughT. 98 doesn't do NTFS.

Edited by silverbeard, 21 February 2007 - 09:12 PM.

ColeEdwards

ColeEdwards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
You said something about 98 not being NTFS and don't i rememebr reading somewhere that all computers must be NTFS to network?

You read the problem correctly, I also can't see the 98 with the xp either.

My gateway does NOT have a floppy drive.

I did not create a setup floppy. When i tried to create it, it kept pointing at my drive F, which is the drive i hook my MP3 player up to. My MP3 Player is not hooked up. Trying to use it as a floppy is a whole new can of worms, so i did not try it.

I just changed the settings on the 98 to Network Server.

I guess i will first say that I am not sure that I did anything right. The computers are both plugged in, they both have internet through the same router and that is all i can promise. The 98 has my newly created network that i am ttempting to share in network neighborhood. My Xp does not do the same thing, the folders have a little shared simbol on them and i have tried a millioon other things.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I looked at the properties for your eternet adapter and I wonder why you have so many items listed. Remove all except Client for Microsoft Network, QoS packet scheduler, file and printer sharing and Internet Protocol TCP/IP.

Now find the "netsetup.exe" in C:\Windows\systeme32 on the XP machine and burn it to a cd since you don't have a floppy and run it on the 98 machine.(the netsetup.exe is also in the C:\Windows\systeme32\dllcahe and on the XP install disk in the I386 folder)

ColeEdwards

ColeEdwards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i removed all of the processes except the ones specified.

i burned the netsetup.exe to disc and clicked it on the 98. Some files dowloaded and it asked me to restart.

Note: (before your response)
I looked in the back of my HP3600 printer and saw an eithernet recipticle. I plugged in an eithernet from it to the back of my router. I then used the install cd to network my HP3600 printer to the 98 computer. It worked. It shows up as an additional drive on the 98. I am still using the USB connection from my XP. Both print just fine.

I als chatted with my father who is very knowlegable, but busy and he thought he remembered something about my XP home not made for networking. he thought that only XP Professional was able to network. So if he remembered correctly, my XP couldn't be the the hub. He mentioned that if you were networking 5 computers ONe would have to be XP Professional. You could have the other 4 as XP Home, but one of them had to be professional.

Edited by ColeEdwards, 23 February 2007 - 10:42 AM.

ColeEdwards

ColeEdwards

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
make sure you read the post above as well

We might be getting somewhere!

I can now see the XP files from the 98! However, I cannot see the 98 files from the XP.

When I ran the netsetup on the 98 it installed those little computers in the system tray "internet gateway connected"

I ran the netsetup again on the XP and nothing changed.

I have included both printsceens. sorry, i was having a bit of difficulty with paint as i am not familiar on the 98 so it's in word. (shift - printscreen works on xp, and it's alt-printscreen on 98)

(it's a little confusing because the 98 is my old computer so some of the files are labeled as Cole's this or that) But in general Poopsie is the 98 and Cole is the XP. Like I said there is going to be some Cole.... on the Poopsie)

networking_on_the_XP.jpg
Attached File  explorer_from_the_98.doc   63KB   18 downloads

Edited by ColeEdwards, 23 February 2007 - 12:23 PM.