Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Static ip problem

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
i have got a netgear wpn824 wireless router and a netgear dg834 adsl firewall router. i am hardwired to the wireless router(because if im hardwired to the dg834 adsl firewall router i can not do file and printer sharing and join local games) which is then plugged in to the dg834 adsl firewall router. i have been trying to set up a teamspeak server so i used port forwading. i did this on both routers like it says in the guides (http://portforward.c...4/TeamSpeak.htm) but at the begining it says set up a static ip if you havent. so i did what it said in the guide to set it up restarted my pc and could not connect to the internet. i said i was connected to the network but i couldnt acsess anything and it was trying to make me use dial up to connect to the internet. should i have to add it to the routr some how?
anybody no wot to do???? :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....i've always found that the use of two routers in series as you suggest...well...it's always hard to configure correctly...

the issue that you're running into (i suspect) is that you've got your internet connection coming into the adsl modem/router...then that is passing the traffic on to the wireless router....what you've got is two seperate networks (which is why when you plug into the adsl router directly....you can't do lan games and file sharing)...you've got one network that is controled by the adsl router...and one that's controlled by the wireless router...almost deffinitely each has a seperate ip subnet..

the EASIEST way to get what you want would be to replace your ADSL modem/router with one that's got wireless abilities...OR to replace it with a standard ADSL modem that's NOT a router...then plug the wireless router directly into that...

basically what you're trying to do now is route traffic from the internet to the modem to the router to the PC....but still havecertain things like port forwarding work...and well...without some funkyness...this isn't really doable...

you MIGHT try reading up on the adsl/modem router and see if there's a way to make it JUST a modem and not a router/modem...possibly something like bridge mode..

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
kwl
any idea were i can find out about network bridgeing??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
possibly the manual for your router...or linksys tech support would be the quickest..

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
k i think il look at the linxys websites as the manual isnt very help ful
thanks
spud

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!